Africa Travel Guide
Africa is a huge continent with 54 diverse countries. From vibrant South Africa, to the stunning beaches in Mozambique, the open plains of Kenya and Tanzania and the breathtaking wilderness of Botswana - Africa offers something to everyone. Get information, advice and inspiration for the best things to do if you would like to travel to Africa.
Activities & Things to Do in Africa
Find amazing ideas if you would like to travel in Africa.
Travel to Africa
View our comprehensive Africa travel and backpacking guide with tips, ideas for the best things to see and do and information about itineraries, costs, how to save money, and more!
We aim to give you all the information you need to have an amazing experience in this amazing continent. You can also find affordable travel and backpacking ideas where you can be more than just your average traveller. You can also get recommendations for safety, advice on places to stay and tips how visit Africa on a budget.
Get inspired to visit Africa today.
- Population: 1,050,000,000
- Number of Countries in Africa: 54
- Continent Area: 30,000,000 km2 (approx) making it the second largest continent in the world
- Languages: Diverse range of local languages throughout the contient
- Largest City in Africa: Cairo, Egypt - population 8,000,000
- Bukina Faso
- Cape Verde
- Cote D'Ivoire
- Sierra Leone
- South Africa
Top Reasons to Visit Africa
If you have never stepped foot on the African continent before you might have the wrong impression of Africa from images portrayed in the media. Not every country suffers from poverty, starvation and crime - there are thriving countries with strong economies and more and more countries are up and coming travel destinations. There are lots of world famous tourist sights and also lots of opportunities to go off the beaten track to discover the real Africa. Expect friendly people, exotic wildlife and some of the most stunning locations in the world.
How to Get to Africa
There are daily international flights to countries throughout the continent. Book in advance to secure the best deals.
Travelling & Backpacking in Africa
If you are thinking about your next big adventure book choose Africa where you will get to explore countries, learn about local cultures, visit world famous national parks and get up close to exotic wildlife like elephants, lions, leopards and rhinos. Africa has long been thought of as a destination for safaris, luxurious game lodges, honeymoons, idyllic beaches, and Maasai warriors. This continent incorporates all these elements, but it also offers much more.
You will get to get off the beaten track and enjoy one of the most incredible experiences of your life. African organised travel is a very safe way to experience the highlights, meet new people from all over the world and get to learn about all the places you visit. We have some fantastic travel opportunities for all budgets perfect for singles, families, photography enthusiasts or people seeking to go overland in search of adventure and animals.
There are so many highlights in the continent, here are some of the top rated destinations you should add to your Africa travel itinerary:
- Kruger National Park, South Africa (get up close to the big five wild animals)
- Cape Town, South Africa (relaxed vibe and take a trip up Table Mountain)
- Victoria Fall, Zambia & Zimbabwe (stunning waterfall and adventure sports)
- Okavango Delta, Botswana (beautiful wetlands)
- Fes, Morocco (incredible North African city complex)
- Pyramids, Egypt (ancient mysterious structures)
- Cape Coast, Ghana (busy town on the West coast)
- Lake Turkana, Kenya (stunning lake in a beautiful country)
- Cape of Good Hope, South Africa (the Southern most point of Africa)
- Tsingy de Bemaraha National Park, Madagascar (amazing wildlife)v
Africa Travel Tips
Money & Budget
Africa offers some of the best value for money in terms of travel, you can get great deals on accommodation, sightseeing and activities. Keep local currency and USA dollars - it will be always come in handy. Remember to always try to exchange foreign currency before departing a country, it can be difficult to exchange afterwards.v
Getting to Africa can be your biggest cost, be sure to book in advance to get the best deals.
You can find accommodation for all budgets. Some countries offer better standards than others but this really depends on your destination.
Health & Safety
- Read vaccination requirements well in advance of departure, some countries will not allow you entry if you don't have the right jabs
- Take a first aid kit, you never know when it will come in handy
- If you are female and travelling solo it might be an idea to wear a wedding ring, this usually help keep away unwanted advances and attention from locals
- Take a sink plug, you might be surprised how useful this is! Like cleaning clothes to washing your face
- Always try to tell somewhere where you are going
- Pack some rehydration sachets, also always take tissues and toilet roll
- We don't recommend carrying all your money on you, or putting it in one place. Try to mix it up