Togo Travel Guide
If you want an Authentic African holiday, Togo will appeal to you and we have some rewarding volunteer programs and gap years. You can soak up the culture, see traditional dancing, visit local markets or go in search of nature - this country has various tropical lakes, lagoons and waterfalls on one of our tours.
- Capital: Lomé
- Currency: Communaute Financiere Africaine franc (XOF)
- Country Size: 56,785 km2
- Population: 7,154,000 (estimate)
- Language: French + local languages
- Country Code +228
Use our advanced search to find local tour operators, our website also featured overland adventures throughout this region. Somewhere we highly recommend visiting is the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Tamberma Village whilst Togo benefits from its gorgeous coastline with the Atlantic Ocean and there are lots of beach resorts you might want to check out. The capital city Lomé is a hive of activity, there are lots of cafes, restaurants, bars and also nightclubs.
Volunteer in Togo
This is the perfect destination if you are looking to gain work experience of just give back. We also list combination programs with the aim to give participants a real feel for this outstanding country, its people and its culture. This includes with the concept of volunteering, the chance to to experience Togo's culture and great wonders. For more information you can also read our guide to volunteering in Africa.
Top Reasons to Apply
- Make a real difference, this country is very poor
- Experience the real Africa
- You will get to experience both the rural and city life in Togo seeing a unique lifestyle
- A lot of the projects are really fun where you will get to work with locals who will welcome you with open arms
- You can also combine experiences
Type & Location of Projects
Most organisations are running programs in Lome, but you can also be based in more rural areas of the country. Our carefully selected care and community programs enables you to give service on a voluntary basis. There are different lenght programs which are a combination of voluntary work within local communities and cultural exchange.
Placements available to join include:
- Conservation, agriculture and farming
- Care work, arts and crafts
- Law, journalism and human rights internships
- Medical placements in dentistry, midwifery, nursing and medicine, physiotherapy, speech therapy
- Teaching and coaching sports like football and baseketball
You can search projects above or also browse organisations which include humanitarian, charities and NGO's. Some organisations will require you to pay a fee/donation but there are also free and low cost projects available. Accommodation is provided in a local homestay or in shared housing with other volunteers.