Europe Travel Guide
Europe is a fascinating continent to visit, there is history around every corner and every destination offers a new experience. Get information, advice and inspiration for the best things to do if you would like to travel in Europe.
Top Things to Do in Europe
Travel to Europe
Our Europe destination guide aims to give you all the information you need to have an amazing experience in this continent. Find affordable travel and backpacking ideas with advice for amazing things to do and how you can be more than just your average traveller. You can also get recommendations for budget travel tips, tips for places to stay and advice how to stay safe.
Get inspired to visit Europe today!
- Countries: 50
- Languages: Various different languages spoken throughout the continent
- Population: 750,000,000 (approx)
- Area: 10,200,000 km2
- Largest City: Istanbul, Turkey (population 13,900,000 approx)
- Czech Republic
Travelling & Backpacking in Europe
If you are keen to discover the highlights of Europe then you have a lot of choice, here are some of our top recommendations:
- Explore Barcelona in summer where you can walk around the city or just head to the beach
- Alps for winter sports like skiing and trekking / walking holidays in summer
- See the famous Louvre and going up the Eiffel Tower in Paris, France
- Visit Venice nowhere in the world compares
- Watch New Years celebrations in Edinburgh, Scotland
- Experience the magic of Venice, nowhere in the world compares
- Seeing the Northern Lights in Scandinavia, simply spectacular
- Relaxing on beaches in Greece,a great value for money holiday destination
- Going sailing in Croatia, the coast is beautiful
- See a live sporting event like a football game, this is a real passion in most countries
- Watch winter sports like ski jumping in the Alps
- See a summer music festival, there are so many to choose from including Glastonbury in England and Benicassim in Spain
- Take part in Octoberfest, Germany
- Explore Rome - one of the most beautiful cities in the world
Weather & Best Time to Visit Europe
When you choose to travel in Europe depends on your preference. Summer is a popular period due to the warm weather but this is also the most expensive time of the year in terms of accommodation prices and transport. Winter can be romantic and scenic but also temperatures can drop significantly.
Top Places to Visit in Europe
There are some many incredible places to see in Europe, every country is different and offers a totally unique experience. Here are some of our top recommendations for countries to add to your itinerary if you are looking to travel or are keen to find out what are the best places to go in Europe:
- Dubrovnik & Dalmatian Coast, Croatia (beautiful coast)
- Provence, France (a stunning part of the world)
- Lake Balaton, Hungary (relax and go sailing on the biggest lake in Eastern Europe)
- Berlin, Germany (one of the best cities in Europe)
- Paris, France (shops and famous sights like the Eiffel Tower)
- Snowdonia, North Wales (stunning mountains)
- Venice & Rome, Italy (history, monuments and culture)
- Nice, France (relax and enjoy life in the spectacular French riviera)
- Lapland, Finland (take a dogsled in search of Santa)
- St Petersburg, Russia (see tsarist palaces)
- Barcelona, Spain (relax at the beach & get absorbed in the great nightlife)
- London, UK (museums, tourist sites, parks)
Europe Travel Tips
Budget & Costs:
Eastern Europe offers better value for money than Western Europe, most things will be cheaper including food, accommodation, transport and sightseeing activities. Expensive cities in Europe include London, Paris, Nice, Oslo, Geneva, Moscow and Copenhagen - you might want to avoid these if you are on a budget. You will find prices in Switzerland and Scandinavia extremely high so avoid if you have a small budget.
Transport & Getting Around:
A very good transport system operates in Europe, there is a good bus / rail network whilst lots of cheap flight operators run services throughout the continent - book in advance for the best deals. Low cost airlines including EasyJet, Ryan Air and Wizz Air offer budget flights throughout the continent. Megabus operate cheap bus journeys throughout Europe, if you book in advance you can make big savings and some journeys start from only £1. You could also buy an interrail pass.
Food & Drink:
Expect some of the tastiest food in the world, every country offers something different. If you are on a budget be sure to visit supermarkets to buy bread, sandwich fillings and food, this is much cheaper than eating out as eating out for breakfast, lunch and dinner this can quickly eat away at your purse strings. Throughout the continent there are usually great deals on lunch specials, you might want to eat a large lunch and then just have a light bite for dinner which will save you money.