Italy Travel & Backpacking Guide
Italy is one of the best destinations in the world and there are so many things you can do here. From eating some of the tastiest cuisine in Europe to exploring ancient cities. Get information, advice and inspiration for the best things to do if you would like to travel or go backpacking in Italy.
Activities & Things to Do in Italy
Travel to Italy
Our Italy destination guide aims to give you all the information you need to have an amazing experience in this amazing country. Find affordable travel and backpacking ideas with advice for amazing things to do and how you can be more than just your average traveller. You can also get recommendations for budget travel tips, advice on places to stay and how visit Italy on a budget.
Get inspired to visit Italy today!
Find inspiration for the best things to do if you would like to travel to Italy.
- Capital: Rome (population 3,000,000 approx)
- Area: 300,000 km
- Population: 60,000,000 (approx)
- Language: Italian
- International Calling Code: +39
- Religion: Majority Roman Catholic
How to Get to Italy
Italy has a number of airports throughout the country which are connected to worldwide destinations. There is also the option to enter the country via rail and bus from other countries in Europe.
Best Time to Visit Italy
There is no one best time to arrive. Summer is an amazing period to see the natural beauty of Italy, but this is also the time when most tourists arrive and sometimes the heat especially if you are visiting cities can be tough to handle. Winter offers a great way to experience the romantic side to Italy with potential snow and lights.
Top Reasons to Visit Italy
Thinking of your next country to visit? Need some inspiration to choose Italy? Check out some recommendations below:
- Incredible food - eat some of the best past and pizza in the world
- Sample the local wine
- See world famous tourist sights like the Vatican, Colloseum, Venice and Sicily
- Explore amazing cities like Rome and Milan
- Experience the beautiful countryside around Tuscany
- Go in search of the best beach or island
- Join an adventure holiday like skiing in the North of the country
Travelling & Backpacking in Italy
Maybe you've always wanted to visit Italy. It's certainly waiting for you, as it has been for countless centuries and untold numbers of pilgrims, conquerors, and common folk just like you.
The beauty of this country has been equaled by few, and surpassed by none. It might just be the perfect country for lovers. It's definitely a destination that needs to be seen by your own two eyes before you pass from this mortal coil into the world beyond. So, with that in mind, how do you arrange to go and see Italy?
If you're searching for excellent deals on travel packages in Italy, our website can make all of your travel dreams come true. You can get the best possible deal on the best possible travel opportunities. There is no time like the present to plan your dream backpacking experience to Italy. If you're ready to book your trip to Italy, search our experiences and start planning now!
Our Italy travel packages are different than most, we take you to the heart of the country where you will mix with locals and really get to learn more about the country and culture.
Whether you are interested in joining an activity, would like to see world famous places or just meet new people and have a lot of fun our trips will appeal to you. Our featured small group holidays in Italy include paining, yoga, pilates, cooking or travelling overland to see multiple destinations.
Top Places to Visit in Italy
There are so many things to do in Italy that it is hard to just provide a few suggestions for the best destinations and experiences, but these are things you shouldn't miss
- Discover ancient Rome seeing ancient ruins and the spectacular Trevi Fountain
- Go shopping in Milan
- Visit Venice and see one of the most unique places in the world. You can explore the canals, ride a gondalar or you might want to time your trip with the Venice carnival
- Seek out the best pasta/pizza
- See the ruins of Pompeii
- Pisa really is worth the effort, it might seem like a long way from anywhere but the tower is incredible up close
- Go in search of the best lake - Como, Guarda and highly recommended
- Siciliy is beautiful
Essential Things to Do in Italy
Here are some amazing things to add to your Italy itinerary:
- Riding a boat or gondola around incredible Venice
- Seeing the impressive Colloseum and Roman Ruins in Rome
- Getting a picture at the Fonatana di Trevi statue in Rome
- Visiting the stunning Lake Como on a boat tour
- Experiencing Florence during summer, one of the most beautiful places in the world
- Seeing the leaning tower of Pisa (yes there is nothing else there but this building is worth the trip)
- Sampling food and local life in Sicily
- Watching a live football game, one of the local passions
Italy Travel Tips
If you're hungering for a new vacation travel experience, maybe the time really has come to throw caution to the wind and live your dream. They say the sky is the limit, and that may be true for the average millionaire. But if you're living day to day on a budget, you may be a bit more grounded in your thinking.
Luckily, the Internet and a whole lot of advances in technology have leveled the playing field for us working class folk to enjoy life's pleasures as much as the upper crust and now travelling in Italy can be a lot cheaper than you think. Check our top tips below:
General Budget Tips:
Summer is generally the most expensive time to visit as accommodation is charged at a premium. Avoid spending too much time in the larger cities if you want to save money - outside of the cities like Rome and Milan costs are generally cheaper
Hostels are a lot cheaper than hotels
Food & Eating Out:
When eating out avoid the bread which usually is offered at the start of meals - this isn't free most times. Drink the tap water - it tastes good compared to other places in Europe and is a way to keep costs down when eating out. Supermarkets and food outlets sell cheap snacks like sandwiches and paninis which are very cheap
Bus is the cheapest way to get around the country if you want to travel independently.
Health & Safety:
There are no major health or safety problems you should be worried about in Italy, this is a very modern country with a state of art health system and also a strong police presence. Crime against tourists is very rare. The only problems you might encounter is pick pocketing in tourist areas in the larger cities. If you would like to spend a summer here please note the heat can be unbearable in cities like Rome unless you are at the coast close to the sea. During winter temperatures can plumet too especially in the north of the country.