Au Pair Jobs in New Zealand
New Zealand is one of the most spectacular au-pair and nanny destinations in the world. With comfortable temperatures, friendly locals and lots of things to satisfy your sense of adventure - this country will definitely appeal. Jobs are available in places like Auckland, Christchurch, Queenstown and Wellington.
Au Pair & Nanny Work in New Zealand
Guide to Working as an Au-Pair in New Zealand
There are lots of working holiday jobs in New Zealand but au pairing is one of the most popular. Working as an au pair or nanny in New Zealand is a great way to see the country, earn a little money and live for free with a local family. The experience of being a nanny here can be an incredible experience especially if you would like to save money and experience the sights in your spare time. If you are planning a gap year to New Zealand au pairing is a great avenue as you get free accommodation meaning you get to save money for travels.
A typical Kiwi host family will have 1-3 children, usually aged between 1 and 12. All families have been vetted and have usually had au-pairs stay in the past. Sometimes both parents will go to work, or one might be home. Most families live in houses with gardens, and you will have access to a car if you can drive. You will get to have your own room and also get free time to yourself. New Zealand is a very outdoors country due to the warm climate so you will get time to enjoy the local surroundings with your family.
Duties & Working Week
- You will get to care for and entertain your host children
- Attending children’s parties
- Taking and collecting from school
- Preparing and cooking meals
- Helping with homework
- Tidying and cleaning the house e.g. putting away toys and light housework
Expect around $150-$350 New Zealand dollars per week.
Benefits of Applying through an Agency
- Au pair placement
- A private room and full board
- Pre-arrival matching and placement with your host family
- A contract
Who is Eligible to Apply
If the idea of working abroad in New Zealand as an au pair appeals to you then you will need to:
- Be between the ages of 18 and 30 at the time of application
- Be a non-smoker
- Have a valid driver’s license with an approved translation or an international drivers license
- Be eligible for, and meet all the requirements for, the New Zealand Working Holiday Visa
- Have childcare experience and references to support this.
- Be able to commit to a 6-12 month placement
- Have a clean police record
- Complete a successful interview
If you are applying from the United States, agency usually charge around US$500 for this service. From other countries the fee can vary. You can also apply for a working holiday visa and then apply with a local agency based in New Zealand which can be cheaper but more difficult to actually get a job.
Help / Advice
If you need any help arranging an au-pair job in New Zealand please get in touch.
New Zealand Au Pair Reviews
If you have ever been to work as an au-pair or nanny in New Zealand and would like to add a review, write about your experience or share any recommendations please contact us.
If you offer au-pair jobs in New Zealand and would like to be featured here please contact us.