Au Pair Jobs in the USA
Working as an au-pair in America is an appealing opportunity for so many reasons, you will get to live with a friendly local family, experience this world famous culture, have a lot of fun with children and also get free time to explore famous sights.
Au Pair, Childcare & Nanny Jobs in America
Guide to Working as an Au Pair in the USA
Interested in applying to work as an au-pair or nanny in the United States? This country is one of the most popular au pair destinations in the world, you will live and work as a trusted member of an American family, and get a real taste of life in the U.S and have the time of your life!
You will be responsible for looking after children, creating a fun environment, cleaning, cooking and picking up from schools. Wages can vary (don't expect a fortune) but you get free food and accommodation - this is a great way to experience the culture of the USA in a structured experience. If you are limited on time you might want to consider applying for a US summer camp job.
Popular Places to Work as a Nanny in America
- Los Angeles
- New Hampshire
- New York
Who Can Apply
- Can you speak, write, and understand English?
- Do you have experience working with children?
- Are you willing to commit to at least 6 months as an au pair?
- Can you obtain an international driver’s license?
- Does your country have an Au Pair USA partner office?
If you answered yes to all of those questions, then congratulations! You’re ready to get started.
US Au-Pair Application Process
- You will need to complete an online application form to apply to work in the USA. After receiving the application form au pair agencies will check and procees your application immediately. Host families choose au-apirs on the documents you supply and so you will need to make a strong convincing application to stand a good chance of getting employment. Try to be friendly and make a good impression with your agency from the start.
- You might need to supply references - usually not written by a friend or family member so possibly someone from your college, university who someone who works in a professional environment.
- As soon as an agency has match you to a suitable family, you might be required to complete another application form and also agree to the placement.
- The au-pair agency with speak to you and the host family and finalise your job
- You will get a written confirmation of the placement and a departure date will be decided
- If either you, or the host family decline the placement you will be matched to a different family
- When a date of arrival is agreed, you will be asked to make his/her travel arrangements and let your agency know. They will then pass this onto the host family and they can make preparations for your arrival.
- You agency will check with you and your family to see if everything is going okay once you have been placed
- If you are unhappy in the placement you can leave and try to find a different family
How Long Does the Application Process Take
- Please allow at least three to four weeks for the au-pair placement procedure
After Applying What to Expect
If you have any questions about the program before you come to the U.S. you can talk to the representative in the local partner office.
When You Arrive
Once you arrive in the U.S., you’ll usually take part in an orientation and training program before meeting your host family. You’ll not only receive important child care and safety training, you’ll also be able to start adjusting to life in the United States. Plus, you’ll have time to explore and enjoy New York City.
During Your Stay
While you are staying with your host family, you’ll have the support and assistance of an Au Pair USA local coordinator. Your local coordinator will hold monthly meetings and activities for you and other au pairs in the area. And she’ll also be available to help you with any issues or concerns you may have during your stay. Staff are also available 24 hours a day in case of emergency.
When to Apply
You can apply and start working all year round, summer is a really popular period and so get your application in early for this time.
Most au pair employers and families like a long term commitment of at least 3 months+.
Eligibility & Qualifications
- You will need to apply for a work visa and check online to see if your country is eligible.
It really depends on the employer but don't expect to get paid a huge amount. This position is more about the experience of living in America.
Recommended Agencies to work as an Au Pair in the USA
Help / Advice
If you need any help getting an au-pair job in the USA please get in touch.
USA Au Pair Reviews & Testimonials
If you have ever been to work as an au-pair in the States and would like to add a review, write about your experience or share any recommendations please contact us.
"Cultural Care helped guide and support me throughout the whole process and I felt completely assured that this was the right decision for me." - Ella, from Coventry, au pair in California
"I have always been very fond of children and loved taking care of my young nephews and niece's (age 3-6) during parties or when ever they would visit. Most of the time my family members would leave me with them to take of them overnight when they would go out. One of my best moments when working as an au pair was playing with the children. It's such an amazing experience looking after children so that's why I would really recommend to be an au pair. You also get to experience the American life as well." - Tatyana, previous US au pair
“Your whole perspective on life may and probably will change during this year and I can speak for both myself and multiple friends that I have met since being here, that it is the best job we have ever had. I would definitely recommend Cultural Care Au Pair to all who wish to be an Au Pair in the future, it is without a doubt a very successful company in the sense that it is completely transparent.” - Emily from Cardiff, Au Pair in Minnesota
If your company offers au-pair jobs in the USA and would like to be featured here please contact us.