Au Pair Jobs in Australia
Consider working as an au pair in Australia and get a real taste of life in a new country living with a trusted family. Applying to work as an au-pair or nanny in Australia is your chance to do something different and there are positions throughout the country in places like Sydney, Melbourne, Perth or Brisbane just to name a few.
Au Pair & Nanny Work in Australia
Top Reasons to Au Pair in Australia
Australia is one of the best places to work as an au pair, here are some of the top reasons why:
- Have a lot of fun and live with a nice local family
- You will get to save money to fund travels
- Locals are very friendly to outsiders
- Make new friends
- Free accommodation
- Sometimes access to a car and free time to explore your new surroudings
- Save money
- It is not all work, work, and more work, these jobs allow lots of free time to enjoy activities and sightseeing in your leisure time
Once you have experienced life close to the beach you might be tempted to stay, and why not? There are stunning beaches, a great climate, a chilled out mix of locals and international travellers and lots of exciting places to see.
Who Can Apply
To work as an au-pair abroad in Australia you will usually need to fulfil the following criteria:
- You're a student between 18 and 28 years old
- You're responsible and motivated
- You're preferably a non-smoker
- You enjoy looking after children
- You appreciate family life
- Have previous child care or babysitting experience, and a genuine love of children
- Be able to commit to a period of time
- Meet Australia's Visa requirements
- Complete a successful interview
What to Expect
A typical Australian host family will have 1-3 children, most often between the ages of 1 and 12. Most host families live in detached 3-5 bedroom homes with a back garden. It is typical for both Mum and Dad to go to work, though some au pairs will be in a parent help role, where one parent is home much of the time. Families usually have 2 cars and will sometimes have a car just for the au pair’s use. Australian families often enjoy spending time outdoors and will often spend time together as a family on the weekends.
Benefits of Applying through an Agency
- Agencies usually make the whole process of working as an au pair easier, they generally provide:
- Host family screened by local representatives
- Information about international visas, labor laws, and residential permits
- Pre-departure and ongoing local support once in your destination
- 24 hours hotline in case of emergency
- Social events
- Contact details of other au pairs in your area
Duties & Responsibilities
You will be responsible for looking after children, creating a fun environment, cleaning, cooking and picking up from schools. Once you worked as a nanny in Australia you will understand why so many people migrate and stay here
Wages can be quite low but you get free food and accommodation - this is a great way to experience living and working in Australia in a structured experience. If you were to apply to work in Australia for example bar work then you might be paid slightly more than working as an au pair but you would also need to cover accommodation and living costs which in places like Sydney and Melbourne can be rediculously high. When you work as an au pair you will be living with a host family so you don’t have any rent, utility bills or food bills - some families will also provide you access to a car.
You will need to pay an agency fee if you are applying from overseas, also local agencies also charge a placement fee.
Australia Au Pair Reviews
If you have ever been to work as an au pair in Australia and would like to review your experience or an agency please get in touch.
- Australia paid internships
- Australia volunteer programs
- Australia gap year jobs
- Australia tours
- Au pair jobs New Zealand