New Zealand Gap Year
New Zealand is one of the most popular gap year destinations in the world. You will get to see spectacular nature, world famous tourist sights, meet new people and create unforgettable memories. Experience the best time of your life in New Zealand, we have amazing gap year work and travel packages available to book all year round.
Gap Year Programs in New Zealand
Find the best gap year opportunities in New Zealand including jobs, volunteer programs, courses, trips and tours.
Plan a Gap Year to New Zealand
If you are looking for the best things to do on your gap year in New Zealand our directory will help you arrange the ultimate experience. One of the most popular ideas is to spend a gap year working in New Zealand but there are so many unique programs and ideas for things you can do on your gap year here.
Affordable options are available all year round and are a great way to meet new people and have a more structured/settled experience rather than just exploring. You might also like to combine experiences and search ideas for taking a gap year in Fiji or a gap year in Australia.
Best Things to Do on a Gap Year in New Zealand
There are so many amazing adventures in New Zealand and to get you excited and to give you some ideas check our list below...
- Go bungee jumping - Queenstown is your destination there are lots of thrilling and nerve shattering jumps but in Auckland you can also bunji jump from the Casino
- Sailing in Auckland, trips depart from the harbour
- Walk around hot springs in Rotarua
- Go Zorbing or Sea Kayaking on the South Island
- Skiing / snowboarding in Wanaka / Queenstown
- White water rafting in Queenstown
- Take an overland trip to explore the New Zealand wilderness
- Go Luging in Queenstown where you can luge with friends seeing spectacular views across the city
- Hike the famous Franz Joesph Glacier and experience something totally different. You can even go sky diving over here
- Try to catch an All Blacks game or watch a local side, the atmosphere is amazing as its the national sport
Top Tips for Taking a Gap Year to New Zealand
- Before departing you might want to watch a film like Whale Rider to get background information on Mouri culture, this will be a good introduction to the country.
- Don't fly between the islands, you really will miss a lot, go overland instead
- Base Backpackers hostel in Auckland is amazing
- Hiring a campervan is recommended, ir if not lots of overland bus tours operate
- Queenstown is incredible
- Skiing in Wanka is underrated
- If you want to experience New Zealand in your own time, some operators offer flexible hop-on hop-off bus passes of New Zealand
- You could rent your own camper van - lots of companies offer this service
- Don't worry about spending money, make sure you do, you will only regret the things you don't do
- Zorbing is expensive but a lot of fun - you can't do this is many worldwide destinations
- In Christchurch try to challenge a local person to a game of giant chess in the city centre square - its a lot of fun and different way to spend an afternoon
- The Tranzalpine train journey which runs from Christchurch to Greymouth is one of the most scenic routes in the world, it travels through the mountains - be sure to charge the batteries of your camera