Travel Opportunities for Recent College Graduates
Graduated? Or going to graduate soon? Not wanting to start the employment route just yet?
There are so many things you can do after college and on our website you can find opportunities in locations all around the world.
There is bound to be something which appeals to you and below you can read our list of top travel, volunteer and work abroad ideas overseas after graduation.
We hope our guide to the top 5 things to do overseas for college graduates helps you plan the best time possible.
1. Travel Travel Travel
The world really is your oyster and if you take a gap year and depending on your budget there are so many countries you could visit.
There is a lot of choice - going on a tour, travel independently or join group programs which have travel options. You could visit amazing cultural cities in Europe, relax on beaches in Asia, take an adventure gap year in Australia, roam the jungles of South America to the beaches of Asia, the ancients cities of Europe to the grasslands of Africa – there's a big world out there and what better time to explore it.
Below are some recommendations for worldwide gap year tours adventure trips:
- Inter-rail around Europe
- Get a hop-on hop-off bus pass of New Zealand
- Safari in South Africa
- Trek the famous Inca Trail to Machu Picchu in South America
- Travel overland on the South-East Asia loop
2. Work Abroad & Get Paid
Travel and work your way around the world, if you are open to living in a new country and would like to get paid there are a range of gap year jobs available.
If you want to escape or town or city, and the idea of just staying at home doing a normal boring job doesn't appeal to you there is a lot of choice. From short term jobs, summer jobs which are ideal for students to long term positions where you can work abroad for over 2 years.
Jobs can include:
- Working a winter ski season in Europe
- Applying for a working holiday visa in countries like Australia, New Zealand
- Taking a TEFL course and teaching English
- Summer work and travel USA
- Winter ski jobs Canada
There are so many really amazing free volunteer projects overseas. This might be a life changing experience and where you go and what you do is up to you. It is advised to apply though an international volunteer organisation who will arrange your placement and provide a safe trip.
Recommend programs include:
- Working with elephants in Thailand
- Volunteering at an orphanage in Africa
- Teaching in South America
- Volunteering with sea turtles in Central America
- Volunteer in Israel and experience a unique culture
4. Gain Experience for Your CV
This experience doesn't have to be time spent doing nothing, you could gain vital hands on work experience which can help your future job prospects.
Having a great CV / resume will really help and employers will like to see you spend your time wisely on internships overseas for example.
Work experience options include:
- USA internships
- Professional work placements in China
- Media and journalism placements in Africa
- Medical and healthcare electives in Asia
5. Learn a New Language
We highly recommend learning a new language.
This will really help you when travelling and also might improve your job prospects. Knowing a new language can really help when abroad, and there are lots of courses available in the UK and around the world. Living and learning a new language abroad is an amazing experience where you can really get to integarte into a new culture.
- Learning Spanish in Spain
- Living and taking a Spanish class in South America, you could teach English and study in your spare time
- Volunteering in Central America and learning Spanish
Find Your Perfect Post-Graduation Opportunities
If you have made the decision to take some time out and are researching vacation ideas and are wondering what you can do with your time out we have put together some useful ideas to help you.
There really is a lot of choice when travelling or planning a gap year. Hopefully these suggestions will help you decide what to do but if you need any specific advice please e-mail us.