Teach English in Hong Kong
Hong Kong is an exciting destination to work as a TEFL teacher, expect culture, tasty food and a vibrant atmosphere. Hong Kong was handed back to the Chinese in 1997 and is one of the largest economic hubs of the world. View our guide to working as an English teacher in Hong Kong and search positions today.
Language, Teaching & TEFL Jobs in Hong Kong
A Guide to Teaching in Hong Kong
We highly recommend applying to teach English in Hong Kong, not many places in the world compare to living here, there are huge sky scrapers and lots of restaurants, bars and cafes to enjoy. Hong Kong has a diverse population from Asia and worldwide with lots of expats from Europe living here. if you are looking to explore a new country and are open minded to Asia culture then you will love Hong Kong. There is a large international/ex-pat community living in Hong Kong making the the transition to living and working here easier.
English is widely spoken in this former British ruled colony, you can find lots of jobs in Hong Kong for foreigners working as teachers to help children and adults to learn or improve their written and conversation English skills. Knowing local words and phrases will really help when teaching in this part of the world, you’ll work with both adults and children - parents seeking to have their children to grow up bilingual, and business professionals looking to improve their conversational language skills.
Salary for Teaching in Hong Kong
The average foriegn language teacher can expect to earn around $2,000 - $3,000 per month which is very high compared too other countries in the region and worldwide.You will also be teaching here more for the experience, living in Hong Kong is a great cutural experience and will look great on your CV / resume. You can also apply to teach and volunteer in Hong Kong - perfect if you are looking for work experience.
Some paid jobs will include accommodation (or discounted rates) which really helps as this can be an expensive place to live in. Some job packages might even include airfares if you are lucky.
Advice for Teaching in Hong Kong from Past TEFL Teachers
If you are looking for or applying to English teaching jobs in Hong Kong there are a number of things you should be careful of and we have put together some useful guidelines to follow....
- Always ask for feedback and check a website like Facebook to see if the institution is credible
- Like with all jobs abroad, we advise not providing credit card information before registering. If someone asks for money or a payment always challenge this and if you feel something is wrong its best not to proceed
- Try to tell a friend or someone you are going for an interview and provide contact details
- If a language school or employer asks for documents its better to provide photocopies
- Interviews generally take place during the day, it is very unusual to have one at night
- Take photocopies of your passport and get travel insurance for the duration of your stay
- Hong Kong is a very safe area to live and study in but always check your foreign office website or the Lonely Planet travel forum for up to date travel advice and information
What to Do in Your Spare Time
For a relaxing break head to one of the beaches, sometimes the city can be a little hectic and its always good to freshen up.
Hong Kong TEFL Reviews & Testimonials
If you have ever been to teach in Hong Kong and would like to share your experience please get in touch.
- TEFL Courses
- Hong Kong Jobs
- Paid Internships in Hong Kong
- Hong Kong Gap Year
- TEFL Jobs Asia
- TEFL Jobs China