A Guide to Studying Abroad in the USA

USA study abroad

The US is one of the most popular cuntries to study abroad for international students due to the amount of world class courses, colleges and universities located here. Studying abroad in the United States will look fantastic as an academic qualification on your CV and this really helps in the future when it comes to job hunting.  If you are an international student and are considering studying in the USA you can find summer and year round opportunities. 


Top Reasons to Study in the USA

There are so many reasons why you should choose the United States as your destination including:

  • Some of the best universities in the world located here
  • Experience life studying in one of the most popular destinations on the planet
  • Meet other students from all over the world
  • Lots of things to do in your spare time
  • Degrees offered by US universities are usually accepted worldwide meaning you will increase your chances of getting a well paid job just after you finish


Best Universities in the USA for International Students

There are over 1000 universities in the USA so there is a lot of choice when it comes to choosing an institution. Some of the top universities in USA include:

  • Columbia University
  • Harvard University
  • Princeton University
  • Stanford University 
  • Yale University


Best Cities to Study in 


  • Top universities at Boston are Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Harvard University, Boston University, Tufts University, Brandeis University, Boston College & Northeastern University
  • Average tuition fees in Boston are US$44,000.


  • Average tuition fees in Chicago are US$36,000
  • Top universities at Chicago are University of Chicago, Northwestern University, University of Illinois (Chicago), Illinois Institute of Technology & Loyola University Chicago

Los Angeles

  • Top universities in LA include the University of California, UCLA, the University of Southern California and The California Institute of Technology
  • verage tuition fee of US$41,000

New York

  • Top universities in New York include Columbia University, New York University (NYU), Yeshiva University, University of Delaware, City University of New York, New School University, Stevens Institute of Technology, Fordham University & Rockefeller University
  • Average tuition fees at New York are US$37,200


  • Top universities in Philadelphia include: University of Pennsylvania, Drexel University & Temple University
  • Average tuition fees in Philadelphia are US$37,000


  • Top universities in Pittsburgh include: Carnegie Mellon University & University of Pittsburgh
  • Average tuition fees in Pittsburgh are US$37,000

San Fancisco 

  • Top universities in San Francisco are Stanford University, University of California, Berkeley (UCB), University of San Francisco, University of California, San Francisco (UCSF)
  • Stanford University is one of the most popular universities in the USA for international students with world class research facilities. Subjects you can study include biology, physics and civil rights. 
  • Average tuition fees in San Francisco are US$38,300

Washington DC

  • Average tuition fees in Washington DC are US$37,000
  • Top universities at Washington DC are University of Maryland, Georgetown University, George Washington University, American University, Howard University


Visa & Requirements

If you want to study at a college or university in the USA you will need a student visa called F1 visa.

  • Valid Passport - Your passport must be valid for at least six months beyond your period of stay in the US.
  • Nonimmigrant Visa Application, Form DS-160 confirmation page
  • Application fee payment receipt, as you are required to pay before your interview
  • Photo – The US consulate will upload your photo, and for the same purpose you will have to fix an appointment with the consulate. You will have to visit the Consulate centre. A digital photograph of yours will be taken and along with that, all your fingerprints will be scanned. You’ll have to carry an approval receipt given by the consulate after successfully taking your photograph and finger scan.
  • Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status - Your school will send you a SEVIS-generated Form I-20 once they have entered your information in the SEVIS database. You and your school official must sign the Form I-20. All students, their spouse and minor children if they intend to reside in the United States with the student, must be registered with the Student and Exchange Visitor System (SEVIS).

Note: Additional documentation may be required. During the personal interview additional documents may be requested by the interviewer. These may be documents to prove evidence of academic or financial status.

These include:

  • Transcripts, diplomas, degrees, or certificates from schools you attended
  • Scores from tests that your US school required, such as the TOEFL, SAT, GRE, or GMAT
  • Your intent to depart from the United States upon completion of the course of study
  • How you will pay all educational, living and travel costs


How to Get a Student Visa for the USA

There are several steps to apply for a visa:

  • Complete the online Visa Application Form DS-160
  • After completing the online visa application, you will be required to pay the non-refundable visa application fee.  You are required to pay it before your interview. It can be paid online or through a bank transaction as well. 
  • Print the application form confirmation page to bring to your interview.
  • Schedule a biometric appointment and Interview appointment.
  • For the Biometric appointment, you will be required to appear in person to get your photograph clicked for the visa and get your fingerprints scanned.
  • At the Personal interview, the interviewer will ask you questions about your choice of course, college, finances, and intent of coming back. If s/he is convinced, they will keep your passport with them to get the visa stamped.
  • F-1 student visas can be issued up to 120 days before the starting date of your course of study. However, you will not be allowed to enter the United States on F-1 status earlier than 30 days before your start date. 


How to Apply

Search study abroad programs in the USA on One World 365. If you need any help arranging a placement please get in touch.


USA Study Abroad Reviews

View reviews of the best study programs on our directory. If you have ever been to study in the USA and would like to add a review, write about your experience or share any recommendations please contact us.


Advertise Here

If you provide study abroad programs in the USA and would like to be featured here please contact us.


Related Pages