Scuba Diving in Greece
Greece is a popular destination to go diving due to the warm climate, spectacular locations and cheap dive packages. Most people go diving around the beautiful Greek islands in the Ionian and Aegean Seas which are spectacular. Search dive operators and packages today.
Scuba Diving Courses & Packages in Greece
Popular Places to Go Diving in Greece
What makes Greece such an amazing dive destination? Think warm weather, great value, tasty food, cheap packages, incredible sights and stunning islands! This is the perfect opportunity if you are a complete beginner and would like to learn but there are also options for all abilities. Many of the dive sites in Greece are unexplored and undervisited meaning you will get a really authentic diving experience here. There is also the option to join a liveaboard diving holiday here and there are lots of different itineraries available.
These are some of the top rated dive locations:
- Corinthian Gulf
- Tzia / Kea
- Zakynthos (Zante)
Santorini is a spectacular Greek island which is also a popular place to stay when going scuba diving. Off the coast there is a submerged volcano and when diving here it can see like you are floating above a bizzarre underworld. .
Wreck Diving in Greece
- Chios Island is a popular destination where you can see recks, caves and walls
- Tzia (Kea) Island - Here you can see the wreck of the Britannic which lies at 120 m.
Marine creatures you can expect to see when diving in Greece include nudibranchs, invertebrates, octopi, crabs, shrimp, eels, seahorses, salpas, tunnies, wrasses, sarguses, perch, octopus, moray eels, cuttlefish, flying fish, grouper, bream, wrasse and parrotfish. We highly recommend a dive excursion to Marathonissi (Turtle Island) where you can see loggerhead turtles.
Best Time of the Year to Go Diving in the Greece
You can go diving all year round in Greece, the most popular times are spring and summer when the weather and sea conditions are best - book ahead during this period.
Greece Diving Facts
- Water temperatures range depending on the season, around 26-28C during the summer and 15-17C in the winter
- Air temperatures range from 10C in the winter to 31C in the summer
- Diving visibility often exceeds 20 meters
- Up until 2005, the Greek government restricted scuba diving to help conservation efforts and to protect historical relics. But now restrictions have been relaxed and there are lots of dive operators, trips and courses available.
- Some companies offer combo dive + free volunteer opportunities in Greece where you can help conservation efforts
Greece is suffering from difficult economic hardship at the moment and you can get great rates on going scuba diving here compared to other dive destinations in Europe.
Help / Advice
If you need any help arranging a dive course in Greece please get in touch.
Greece Dive Reviews
If you have ever been diving in Greece and would like to write about your experience, review a company or share any recommendations please contact us.
If you represent a dive centre in Greece and would like to be featured here please contact us.