Volunteer in El Salvador
Keen to visit El Salvador and be more than just a tourist? Find structured, free & low cost volunteer opportunities in El Salvador with international and local charities, NGO's, non-profit organisations and animal sanctuaries. Placements can be joined in places like San Salvador.
How to Volunteer in El Salvador
Experience life in a developing country and choose from a selection of summer, community and conservation volunteer programs in El Salvador.
A lot of people overlook El Salvador and choose to volunteer in Mexico and other more well known countries in the region, but if you are looking for an authentic experience we highly recommend you consider this destination.
There are start dates all year round and as a participant you will usually be expected to help around 5 - 6 hours per day Monday to Friday. Weekends will be free for you to explore the country, various sightseeing trips and excursions are available. View El Salvador tours for options.
Volunteering Projects in El Salvador
Most volunteer programs have a focus on community development and conservation. A lot of charities and non profits work to help disdvantaged people in the country and some recruit international participants to help. Roles can include education, sports coaching, heatlhcare, awareness and teaching.
Some organisations offer nature preservation programs where you can work with local staff at national parks and with wildlife, tasks can include:
- Litter collections
- Planting trees
- Removal of invasive plants or weeds
- Clearing out the trails and paths for visitors and keep them clean
- Working with wildlife preservation
Where You Can Help
There are projects set up throughout the country in places like:
- San Salvador
- La Palma
- Joya de Cerén
- Santa Ana
- Cerro Verde National Park
- Ruta de las Flores
- La Libertad
- Costa del Sol
- El Tunco
- San Miguel
- Playa El Cuco
- Ruta de Paz
For more options you might like to check out our recommendations for the best volunteer projects in Cenrtal America.
- Participants usually need to be aged 18 years or older on the volunteer program start date
- A mandatory criminal background check (For all children related programs)
- Although not a compulsion; however, volunteers are required to know intermediate or beginner level of Spanish, especially in teaching programs
- Participants are encouraged to be fun, creative, enthusiastic and friendly