Millions of people holiday in Spain every year, and if you would like to stay longer and actually move to the country you are not alone, in 2019 alone around 750,000 moved here.

But if you are considering moving and starting a new life in Spain, how is it possible to do this?


How to Legally Live in Spain

To enter Spain as a tourist you need a short-term Schengen visa that is valid for 90 days in a 180-day period. If you plan to stay longer are are looking to move to Spain, you will need an official visa and long term a residence permit that allows you to reside in Spain in compliance with the law. Each nationalitiy has different criteria, but if you are from an EU/EAA country, the process is much easier than from outside. If you are from the UK, after Brexit, the opportunitiy to live in Spain has become a lot more complicated. 

If you are an EU citizen, you can register with the local authorities to start your application process to stay in the country. If you are from a non-EU country, the process is more difficult. 

To apply for a Spanish visa, you will need to meet some requirements such as a proof of sufficient financial funds, a clean criminal record, and a health certificate.

Some nationalities will be required to have a job offer. If you are a highly skilled worker, you stand a really good chance of gainign employment and you might even be eligible for a European Blue Card, which is equivalent to the Green Card in the United States.

Another option to stay and reside legally in Spain is to purchase a property worth over 500,000 euros, you will then be granted a visa for two years, which you will then have to renew every five years.

Visa costs vary depending on your nationality, as well as the type of visa you apply for. Generally speaking, US and Canadian citizens have the highest visa costs, with prices ranging from 100 to 1000 EUR (120-1180 USD) depending on the visa type. Other nationalities pay less, with costs ranging from 70 to 150 EUR (82-177 USD).


Easiest Way to Get a Spanish Visa

There are lots of websites and agencies in Spain and around the world which can help and make the whole process simplier. One recommended company, My Spain Visa, can help you find our more information and the process and they also help by making it as easy and short as possible.

My Spain Visa, a visa boutique in Spain with more than 20 years of experience with NLV visas and other types of immigration proceedings. They are a digitally progressive team with the best immigration visa experts that are going to advise you and provide you with the best guidance and a complete personalized service to achieve a successful resolution.

You can ask questions and in less than 24 hours you will receive feedback.


Types of Visas

There are lots of different visas available and the non-lucrative visa for Spain is one of the best options to consider.

First of all, it is important to know what a non-lucrative residence visa is. This type of residence permit is entirely aimed at non-European citizens who plan to travel to Spain and reside in the country for a long period of time. What you have to keep in mind is that this type of permit is non-profit, so it is not allowed to do any economic and professional duties in Spain.

This type of visa is the most preferred for most expats who find Spain the best place since it is not mandatory to invest in Spain for you to obtain it. However, anyone who wants to apply for this visa must be able to demonstrate their financial capabilities of supporting his/her stay in Spain for at least one year without working.

The visa conditions are very favourable for people who intend to work remotely from Spain for companies or businesses in other worldwide countries. As a visa holder you can continue working in other EU countries too and this visa also allows you to freely visit any of the Schengen States for short periods of less than 90 days without acquiring another visa. The Schengen nations encompass 26 member states, including Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, and Denmark. 


Non-lucrative Visa for Spain

The non-lucrative visa is renewable every 2 years thereafter, making a total of 5 years of stay. If you decide to reside in Spain permanently after this period of time, you can then apply for a permanent residence permit.


How Can I Get Permanent Residency in Spain?

For the permanent residency eligibility you just need 5 years of residence in Spain; but to get the full Spanish citizenship you will need to have lived in Spain for 10 years. People from some countries might require less than 10 years if there is any special agreement between both countries.


Moving to Spain from UK after Brexit

Wondering if you can still live, work or retire in Spain post Brexit? It is possible, but the process is a lot more complicated and difficult due to the UK leaving the EU. As a tourist you can stay for 3 months in any 6 month period but for any longer stays, or to remain permanently you need will need to have a visa. To legally live in Spain after Brexit you must register as a resident and meet a number of conditions. If you would like to work in Spain, may will need a visa or work permit.


If you are interested in moving to Spain, don't delay, start researching your options and get your eligibility and criteria checked to see if you are eligible. Spain really is one of the best countries to live in the world, the hard part is choosing where to go.