Climbing the Arc de Triomphe
If you find yourself in Paris, climbing the Arc de Triomphe absolutely has to be on your to-do list. Because there’s more to Paris than the Eiffel tower. Arguably one of the most iconic monuments in Paris, the Arc de Triomphe is not something to be missed. So for all of you travel junkies who can’t get enough of amazing views, this is definitely, in my opinion, the best view of Paris!
And it’s not just the view: the Arc de Triomphe is breath taking in many other ways. The architecture is gorgeous, both from the outside and inside, and the sculptures and general history surrounding it is quite interesting.
- Travel light: a bottle of water and your camera is probably all you need! You don’t want to carry your heavy rucksack, unless you’re looking for a more intense workout than usual…
- It’s free for EU residents. There are also plenty of other options for reduced tariffs. So, do not forget ID!
- It is Metro Charles-de-Gaulle-Etoile, but you have to leave the station to reach the underground walkway- don’t try to cross the roundabout!
So, does it beat the Eiffel Tower?
For me, it’s a definite yes. I was significantly more blown away by this view, and I personally found the whole experience of climbing the Arc de Triomphe a whole lot more enjoyable than that of the Eiffel Tower. Despite the 200 something steps, (something I can only really describe as stressful), it really is worth it at the end. The view makes you forget all about the hectic climb, and you can really take your time to enjoy it, and take it all in. There are also very little queues- in fact I queued for the whole of 30 seconds on a Friday.
It is really quite unforgettable, and I can safely say it is one of my highlights of Paris so far.
By Varsha Patel
- 10 best reasons to study in Paris
- French language courses in Paris
- Internships in Paris
- Volunteer in France
- Work in France