Teach English in Australia
Thinking about teaching English abroad? We bet you probably haven't even considered Australia as a likely destination. But if you would like to teach English overseas there are teaching jobs available throughout the country in places like Sydney, Mlebourne, Perth and Brisbane.
Teaching, Language & TEFL Jobs in Australia
Why the Need for English Teachers in Australia
There are various places you can work teaching English including helping new immigrants who are looking to settle in the country. These positions can be very rewarding.
There are also positions at universities and languages schools throughout the country where you can lead lessons helping people from places like Korea, China, Japan, India, Europe and South America who are looking to improve their English skills. You might be working around 4-5 days per week around 9am to 3pm but sometimes hours can be flexible and changable.
If you are not already certified you might like to book a TEFL course in Australia.
How to Get a TEFL Job in Australia
You can apply for jobs in various cities and more rural locations, or if you are seeking a fresh adventure a popular destination for people who are already qualified is to go and teach English in Asia. But note once you have a TEFL course you will be able to apply for employment anywhere in the world.
Some companies offer TEFL job packages for Australia which include orientation, contracts and job guarantee before departure, visa, support, accommodation, transport between centres, optional excursions and competative salaries.
You might want to be independent and contact the following instiutions in Australia who hire TEFL teachers:
- English Language Centre - Monash College - Clayton campus and CBD - Melbourne - VIC
- UNSW Institute of Languages - Kensington and Randwick - NSW
- Victoria University English (VUE)
- QUT International College - Brisbane - Queensland
- Macquarie University IELTS Test Centre
- Australian International College of English - Sydney - NSW
Top Tips for Getting Hired
The TEFL job market in Australia can be competative, remember this is an English speaking nation and just because you have a TEFL course won't guarantee you gain employment unless you work hard.
To stand the best chance of getting a job you will need to be:
- A native English speaker
- Have a TEFL, or sometimes higher like a CELTA qualification
- Have a degree standard education
- Got at least one years experience
- If you are an international you might be eligible for a working holiday visa
- Having any of these will also put you at an advantage - Cambridge Exams, IELTS, Academic English (EAP) & Business English experience
Permanent long term positions can be difficult to secure you will find lots of short and flexible contracts. Wages are generally around AU$17 per hour or around $30-$70 if you have experience and top qualifications.
- 4 months - 6 months / From: $ 1000
- 4 weeks - 4 months / From: $ 0
- 60+ cities across China
- 1 year - 1 Year+ / From: £ 0
How to Apply
If you need any help arranging a teaching job in Australia please get in touch.
If you offer teaching positions in Australia and would like to promote them to a wider audience please contact us.