Going abroad? Not sure what travel insurance to buy? With so many different companies offering cheap travel insurance it can be difficult to know which provider to buy with. Get prepared before departing by viewing our comparision of the best travel insurance companies perfect for holidays, going travelling, backpacking, taking a gap year, heading off around the world or joining adventure trips.
Get Covered Before You Go Away
Travel insurance is the most important thing you can buy when going abroad. It is something essential that you have something can help you if you get injured, sick or have any accidents, family emergencies, lost luggage, theft and cancelleations. We often get asked what is the best cheap travel insurance - this really depends on what type of trip you are doing. Below you can view policies from reliable companies.
Anything can happen when you are on your travels and it is good to have peace of mind. You don't want to make the expensive mistake to be overseas and have an incident, for example falling ill then running up a huge medical bill. If you have travel insurance this should cover you for doctor visits, medicine and hospital visits.
You not legally need to buy travel insurance, but not purchasing is a risk. Travelling without travel insurance is not a good idea, lots of people have had accidents or fallen ill whilst on holiday and end up with bill running into the tens of thousands. Don't be that person. Also if you are from the United States, most health insurance plans will not cover you when you travel.
Questions to Ask Before Purchasing
- There following questions will help you decide what option to buy:
- How long will you be away?
- Where are you going?
- What will you be doing?
- Do you want to cover the basics or pay extra for full coverage
Single Trip or Annual Cover?
There are two different types of travel insurance you can buy and it really depends on what type of trip you are doing as to which one you buy:
Single Trip Insurance:
This will cover you for just one trip to a single destinaition for a specific period of time (ideal for holidays)
Annual travel insurance which can also known as a multi trip policy will cover you for multiple trips and destinations within a certain period, usually 12 months. This is ideal if you taking a gap year or going backpacking around the world.
Advice for Choosing the Right Travel Insurance Policy
- You will usually need to declare all pre-exisiting medical conditions when you apply for a policy. If you lie or make a mistake on the application and then fall ill, or have any problems, not having the right information can invalidadate any claims
- Be sure to read the small print to see exactly what is and isn't included because not all travel insurers cover for some health conditions
- If you are going to do an adventure activity like skiing, scuba diving, skydiving you should check to see if your policy covers you.
- Choose a travel insurer you trust, don't just go for the cheapest option
- Sometimes you can pay extra to have more inclusions - check to see if you want more peace of mind
- If you are heading abroad for a long time e.g. a gap year, choose a company which has a specialist policy e.g. backpacker cover
Top Rated Companies & Policies
World Nomads offer flexible travel insurance for a range of trips. You can buy, extend & claim online from anywhere in the world. World Nomads offers travel insurance to over 50 countries and are an award winning company due to their product range, competitive pricing and exceptional customer service. They offer great cover for all trips including single journeys, annual cover, family cover, backpacker / gap years and more. World Nomads are highly recommended within the travel indusry and are trusted by brands like the Lonely Planet.
To get a quote fill out the form below:
Reviews & Experiences
If you would like to recommend a company or share your experience, good and bad please contact us.