Au Pair Jobs in Germany
Becoming an au pair or nanny in Germany is a great option to experience living in a new culture, see more of the country/Europe and get paid. There are au pair jobs throughout the country in places like Berlin, Stuttgart and Munich just to name a few. View our guide which includes information on the best recruiters and apply today.
Popular Places to Work as an Au Pair in Germany
Are you thinking about working as an au pair in Germany? These are some of the top places to apply:
Some agencies might allow you to specify a particular destination, but this is not always guaranteed.
Top Reasons to Work as an Au Pair in Germany
- You’ll never run out of things to do - with the children or on your own
- Save money - although wages not great you also won't be spending a lot either
- Improve your language skills every day as you communicate with your host family, you might want to book a German language course in Germany
- You’ll have the opportunity to travel throughout Germany or beyond during your paid vacation
- Usually 6-12 months but shorter periods during summer and other time of the year can be arranged
Benefits of Working as an Au Pair in Germany
- Placement with a carefully screened host family
- A private room and full board
- A stipend of at least 260 Euros per month
- 25 Euros per month toward the cost of your airfare
- Up to four weeks of vacation, depending on program length
- At least 1.5 complete days off per week (at least 1 Sunday per month will be free)
- Transportation card or the possibility to use the family car
- Basic health, accident and liability insurance
- ISE card - International Student & Youth Exchange Identification Card
- Pre-departure packet, including program guide, InterExchange notebook, T-shirt and more
To work as an au pair in Germany, you must:
- Be from an EU / EAA country, otherwise getting a visa can be difficult
- Have previous child care or babysitting experience and a genuine love of children
- Meet the visa requirements for Germany
- Have verifiable German language skills
- Complete a successful interview with an agency
If you are a US citizen you must:
- Be a U.S. citizen between the ages of 18 and 26
- Have a high school diploma
- Be able to commit to a placement for at least six months
Most US based agencies charge a fee of around $500.
What to Consider Before Applying
Please be sure that you are prepared for the challenges of an extended stay with a host family abroad before applying for the program.
Germany Au Pair Reviews & Testimonials
Have you ever been to au pair in Germany? Would you like to write about how you found the experience or review an agency? Contact us today.
"I was an Au Pair near Stuttgart in Germany for a year in 2013, and over the summer of 2016. I went to work for the same family again; the children were more independent and even more well-behaved than last time, and we all got along nicely. The second time I worked for them, I was able to get right into things and didn’t need to be shown around like the first time. I was much more independent and confident." - Alice Scott, UK