Au Pair Jobs in New Zealand
New Zealand is one of the most spectacular au-pair destinations in the world. With comfortable temperatures, friendly locals and lots of things to satisfy your sense of adventure - this country will definitely appeal. Working as an au pair or nanny in New Zealand is a great way to see the country, earn a little money and live for free with a local family. Placements are available in places like Auckland, Christchurch, Queenstown and Wellington. The experience of being a nanny in New Zealand can work well for you more than you could ever have imagined possible.
Guide to Working as an Au-Pair in New Zealand
There are lots of working holiday jobs in New Zealand but au pairing is one of the most popular. A typical Kiwi host family will have 1-3 children, usually aged between 1 and 12. All families have been vetted and have usually had au-pairs stay in the past. Sometimes both parents will go to work, or one might be home. Most families live in houses with gardens, and you will have access to a car if you can drive. You will get to have your own room and also get free time to yourself. New Zealand is a very outdoors country due to the warm climate so you will get time to enjoy the local surroundings with your family.
- You will get to care for and entertain your host children
- Attending children’s parties
- Taking and collecting from school
- Preparing and cooking meals
- Helping with homework
- Tidying and cleaning the house e.g. putting away toys and light housework
You will usually be expected to work around 30-45 hours work, this can vary depending on the family though.
Expect around $150-$350 New Zealand dollars per week.
Benefits of Applying through an Agency
- Au pair placement
- A private room and full board
- Pre-arrival matching and placement with your host family
- A contract
Who is Eligible to Apply
- Be between the ages of 18 and 30 at the time of application
- Be a non-smoker
- Have a valid driver’s license with an approved translation or an international drivers license
- Be eligible for, and meet all the requirements for, the New Zealand Working Holiday Visa
- Have childcare experience and references to support this.
- Be able to commit to a 6-12 month placement
- Have a clean police record
- Complete a successful interview
If you are applying from the United States, agency usually charge around US$500 for this service. From other countries the fee can vary. You can also apply for a working holiday visa and then apply with a local agency based in New Zealand which can be cheaper but more difficult to actually get a job.
Help / Advice
If you need any help arranging an au-pair job in New Zealand please get in touch.
New Zealand Au Pair Reviews
If you have ever been to work as an au-pair or nanny in New Zealand and would like to add a review, write about your experience or share any recommendations please contact us.
If you offer au-pair jobs in New Zealand and would like to be featured here please contact us.