Au Pair Jobs in the United Kingdom
Always dreamed of living in the UK? Working as an au-pair in the UK is a great way to live in a world famous city like London. Find au-pair agencies and childcare providers who offer au-pair jobs throughout England and the UK.
Au-pair, Nanny & Childcare Jobs in the UK
A Guide to Working as an Au Pair in the UK
Working abroad as a nanny or au-pair in the England is a popular option if you are seeking a structured experience with a guaranteed job.
You can apply all year round and once you have been accepted they will be able to place you anywhere in the country. Becoming an au-pair is a great way to experience the British way of life, possibly improve or learn English and also get paid.
To apply you usually need to be aged 18 and over, have childcare experience and also basic English. Wages can be low but the role isn't too difficult where you will be asked to do normal daily / household choirs. Positions can be applied for on the internet or in-country.
Popular Places to Work as an Au Pair in the United Kingdom
- High Wycombe
- Milton Keynes
To work as an au-pair in the UK you will need to be a single male or female usually aged between 17 and 30 inclusive, without dependants who is free to come to the United Kingdom and live with an English speaking family for a period up to two years.
- Free board and lodgings with a host family.
- You'll get your own room
- Opportunity for free time, or dedicated time to study or attend religious services
- See more of the UK
- Meet friendly locals and make new friends
- You will help your host family with childcare and light housework
- You will usually work around 5 hours per day with at least two full days off per week
- You might be expected to baby-sit for 2 nights a week
- You will need to complete an online application form to apply to become an au-pair in the UK. After receiving the application form au pair agencies will check and process your application immediately. Host families choose au-pairs on the documents you supply and so you will need to make a strong convincing application to stand a good chance of getting employment. Try to be friendly and make a good impression with your agency from the start.
- You might need to supply references - usually not written by a friend or family member so possibly someone from your college, university who someone who works in a professional environment.
- As soon as an agency has match you to a suitable family, you might be required to complete another application form and also agree to the placement.
- The au-pair agency with speak to you and the host family and finalise the placement.
- You will get a written confirmation of the placement and a departure date will be decided
- If either you, or the host family decline the placement you will be matched to a different family
- When a date of arrival is agreed, you will be asked to make his/her travel arrangements and let your agency know. They will then pass this onto the host family and they can make preparations for your arrival.
- You agency will check with you and your family to see if everything is going okay once you have been placed
- If you are unhappy in the placement you can leave and try to find a different family
Please allow at least three to four weeks for the Au-pair placement procedure
Top Tips for Getting an Au Pair Job in the UK
There are lots of things you will need to consider when applying, families are very careful about who they hire, they will be concerned and need to be thorough about who they are entrusting their child’s safety to so you will need to make a good impression and also put together a strong application. If you are friendly and try your best you should be able to reassure the family that you are trustworthy which will put you in a good position to get a job.
If this is your first time working as a nanny or au pair you will be at a disadvantage over other candidates but lots of people without experience get hired every year, you will just need to really work hard on your application. If you are applying from overseas then please make sure you can speak basic English, this will boost your chances of getting work. You could also view our English language schools in the UK to book a language course.
Salary for Working as an Au Pair in the UK
Most au-pair jobs in the UK you will receive a weekly pocket money around £75 - £95 per week.
Do you offer au pair jobs in the UK and would like to recruit more staff? Contact us.