Scuba Diving in Egypt
With a warm crystal clear waters, sunny weather and incredible marine life - the Red Sea region of Egypt is a fantastic place to go scuba diving. Find local dive centres who offer affordable beginners courses, internships, advanced courses, combination scuba dive package holidays with accommodation and also adventure dive safaris.
Learn to Scuba Dive in Egypt
Are you interested in learning to scuba dive or would you like to get some worthwhile qualifications? If so then then Egypt could be your destination. Our exclusive scuba diving adventures are educational, thrilling and rewarding. You will develop as an individual and learn a considerable amount about yourself, acquiring skills you can use for the rest of your life. No previous diving experience is needed!
Most courses come as part of a package where you will be met on arrival at the airport and be taken to your hotel, typically with balconies and close to the beach. Usually you will either stay close to your dive centre or you will be picked up from the hotel and transferred to the centre. After a welcome briefing and culture and customs orientation, it will be time for your first underwater experience! People travel from all over the world go scuba diving in Egypt, popular nationalities include British, Russian, Germany, French and Italian people.
The operators we have listed on our website are located in Sharm el Sheik and Dahab and offer the ideal introduction to scuba diving, learning all the fundamentals, safety and rescue whilst absorbing the beautiful marine life.
Types of Courses Available
Under professional supervision you can complete the PADI National Geographic Open Water (teaches you the fundamentals and sound environmental practice) and PADI Advanced Open Water courses (qualifies you to dive down to 30m and learn about underwater navigation, fish identification and peak performance buoyancy). You will usually complete two dives per day whilst onboard the dive boat, exploring the unbelievable underwater marine life the Red Sea has to offer!
Clownfish, barracudas, moray eels, turtles and schools of dolphins are some of the awesome creatures you will have a chance to see in the crystal-clear, blue waters! In between dives why not soak up some rays or relax during the night dives and watch the mesmerising sunsets? You can also arrange a trip to the decompression chamber, this is included in some packages as dive centres feel that it's important for you to fully understand the signs and symptoms of decompression sickness as a Rescue Diver.
Top Reasons to Go Diving Egypt
- Great value packages availbale all year round
- Local people are very friendly and most work in the tourism industry and so speak a little English - all the dive centre staff you will have helping will speak fluent English
- Warm climate
- There are some of the best dive spots in the world located here
- Experience a new culture and country
Best Places to Go Scuba Diving in Egypt
Renowned as the capital of the diving world, the Red Sea cannot fail to impress. For new divers, learning in these warm waters, populated by some of the most astounding sea creatures, you are sure to get hooked! Dahab (means ‘golden sands, turquoise sea and off-beat cafe life’ in the Sinai) has a huge variety of dive sites, from shallow coral gardens to deep drop offs and canyons. This is what makes Dahab so special, you can explore one type of topography on your morning dive and then see something completely different in the afternoon. There are short and long term courses available.
Best Dive Sites in Egypt
- ‘Ras Mohammed’ the National Park of South Sinai, located on the very tip of the Sinai Peninsula. This represents some of the most famous dive sites in the Red Sea with 800-metre (2,600 ft) deep reef walls, pounding current and coral gardens.
- Thistlegorm, Egyptian Red Sea
- Shark and Yolanda Reef
- Big Brother
- Elphinstone Reef
- Blue Hole
- Straits of Tiran
- Jackson Reef
- St Johns
- Ghiannis D
Cost of Dive Packages in Egypt
The price you pay really depends on what course or package you are interested in. Some centres include accommodation and meals whilst other allow you to book this seperate. At the moment due to tourism numbers being down Egypt is a great value destination to go diving, this country is very easy to get to aswell with several low cost airlines flying here.
What's Included in Most Beginner Dive Packages
- Pre-Departure Information
- Welcome Briefing and Orientation
- Transport whilst in Egypt (includes airport pick up)
- Hotel accommodation (houses are self catered with an outside ‘chill zone’ with a palm tree shaded areas, social space with BBQ equipment, fully equipped kitchen and rooms with satellite TV).
- PADI National Geographic Open Water Qualification
- PADI Advanced Open Water Qualification
- PADI learning aids and diving equipment (including tank fills)
- Recreational Diving – 3 days at 6 diving sites
There are also 4 week programs available which provides more diversity for those aspiring to ascertain more diving experience in a short period of time. This 4 week program adds on:
- PADI Emergency First Response and PADI Rescue Diver (life-saving skills through ‘in water’ training scenarios)
- 14 additional recreational dives
- Camel Safari to remote dive site
- Trip to WWII shipwreck and Ras Mohammed National Park
- Educational trip to a diving chamber
How to Choose a Dive Centre in Sharm el Sheikh
With so many dive shops and resorts in Egypt it can be hard to know which is the best one to make a booking with. Most dive centres offer similar services and packages but each is different in one way or another. To help you make a decision you might want to consider the following questions:
Courses / Facilities
- Are the staff friendly & welcoming?
- Are the instructors experienced?
- How many instructors are there per class?
- How many people will be in a class?
- Is the equipment modern and of good quality?
- What times are classes?
- What dive sites will you visit?
- What kind of boats are used?
- Are meals included on boats?
- Is there enough shade to protect from the sun?
- Are extra equipment like snorkelling gear free to use?
- What is the cost of the course?
- Does the package include all equipment?
- Is accommodation included in the price and what is it like? Is there a kitchen or wifi?
- Are there any added bonuses like “fun” dives included?
- If I pay with a credit card is there an additional fee?
- Are any discounts offered?
Top Things to Do in Your Spare Time
Most dive courses and trips are flexible providing you with lots of time to relax and take in your new surrounding. You will get time to hit the beach, explore the stunning desert surroundings or visit a Bedouin camp whilst topping up your tan. Around the diving are the activities and free-time which can be arranged in-country. You might like to book a tour of Egypt, both Cairo and the Pyramids are recommended day trips. On a tour you will get a flavour for the local culture and cuisine, chill out on white sandy beaches and also go snorkelling. You could also learn about the Bedouin people and sample the food or join trips to visit oases and secluded coves.
If you are looking for a rewarding experience you might like to view Egypt volunteer opportunities where you can give back and help local projects. You can also just explore more of the blissful Red Sea coast or relax in Sharm or Dahab. Whether you are looking for a relaxing beach break, or something more active like adventure water sports activites then you will be able to find something for you.
Help / Advice
If you need any help arranging a dive course in Egypt please get in touch.
Egypt Dive Centre Reviews
If you have ever been diving in Egypt and would like to review a company or share any recommendations please contact us.
If you represent a dive centre in Egypt and would like to be featured here please contact us.