Where is Malay Spoken
Malay is primarily spoken in Malaysia but you can also find native speakers in others countries in South-East Asia including Brunei, Indonesia, Singapore and Thailand.
How Many People Speak Malay Worldwide
There is an estimated 18 million Malay speakers around the world.
Useful Words & Phrases for Travelling in Malaysia
Learning some of the language is recommended which will help you be polite and interact with local people.
Basics & Greetings
- Hi: Hai
- Nice to meet you - Selamat berkenalan!
- How are you? - Anda apa khabar? / Apa khabar?
- I'm good, thank you - Saya sihat, terima kasih.
- And you? - Anda bagaimana?
- Sorry - Maaf
- What is your name? - Siapa nama anda?
- Do you speak... English? - Anda boleh bercakap... Bahasa Inggeris?
- It was nice talking to you - Seronok dapat berborak dengan anda!
- I don't understand: Saya tidak faham
- What is that called in Malay?: Apa itu dalam Bahasa Melayu?
Tourism & Sightseeing
- Can you help me?: Bolehkah anda tolong saya?
- Where is the airport? - Di mana lapangan terbang?
- I have a reservation - Saya ada buat tempahan.
- Do you have rooms available? - Anda ada bilik kosong?
- How much does it cost per night? - Berapakah caj untuk satu malam?
Shopping, Buying Things & Eating Out
- Waiter: Pelayan
- How much is this? - Berapakah harga ini?
- What is this? - Apa ini?
- Help me - Tolong!
- I am sick - Saya rasa kurang sihat
- I need a doctor: Saya perlukan doktor
- Ambulance - Ambulans
- Police - Polis