10 Amazing Things to Do in Australia
For centuries, Australia has drawn tourists from all over the globe due to its many travel attractions. It offers a rich blend of natural scenic beauty, sophisticated entertainment and cultural diversity like no other place in the world. If you do not know where to start in this diverse and vast country, fret not. Here is a list of the best 10 things you should try to do in Australia.
1. Visit the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary
The Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary is one of the places you would not want to miss while touring Australia. At this wildlife sanctuary, you can expect to:
- See Koala bears in the wild
- Get a glimpse of animals found natively in Australia, some of which include wallabies, emus and Kangaroos
- View our volunteering programs in Australia if you would like to help koalas or other animals
2. Road Trip
There are so many great road trips including the spectacular Great Ocean Road. You can do this independently or on an organised trip. You might want to view our Australia tours.
3. Take a Wine Tasting Tour
To experience Australia's wine culture:
- Take a wine-country day trip in the Yarra Valley. You will be able to taste grapes fresh from the vineyards besides sampling some of the exquisite wine brands that are exclusive to Australia
- Make sure to book a guided wine tasting tour to learn about the rich history of wine making in the region
4. Travel The East Coast
From hiking and sightseeing, to rock climbing and skiing, Australia has it all when it comes to outdoor adventure. No matter how how you are, possibly you have always wanted to take a gap year in Australia, or just experience something new, grabbing a backpack and heading out to see this country is an amazing choice. A few places to visit for adventurous travellers include:
- The Victorian Alps – The summer is a great time to hike, bike, rock climb, fish or scale peaks in the Victorian Alps
- Overland track in Tasmania – This track spans about 60 miles and will take six-days and five-nights to hike. The epic trail takes hikers from Cradle Valley in the north to Lake St. Clair in the south
- Daintree rainforest – Explore the lush woods of Daintree rainforest on foot by taking walks on one of the many nature trails. There are also River tours offering opportunities to spot crocodiles on Daintree River
- < 1 week - 1 week / From: £ 250
- < 1 week - 1 week / From: £ 100
- 2 weeks - 3 weeks / From: £ 1500
5. Explore Cities Like Sydney
If you want to experience Australia's city life, then visit Sydney. This city is a good destination for several reasons.
- For starters, you can visit the iconic Sydney Opera House for some world-class arts entertainment
- The city is home to Sydney Harbour as well as several stunning beaches that are perfect for sunbathing and surfing
- Sydney has diverse restaurants offering multi cuisine dishes from all around the world
- One of the oldest museums in the country, the Australian Museum is well worth a visit. You will get to see a wide collection of displays, including dinosaur bones and mummies and also learn more about Australia, its interesting wildlife, geography and inhabitants
- If you would like to stay a little longer view our guide to working in Australia
6. Go in Search of the Best Beach
No trip to Australia is complete without visiting one of its stunning beaches. The Gold Coast is one of the best places to visit due to having 21 beaches spanning 35 miles. You can:
- Go windsurfing, kite boarding, and surfing on one of the many beaches in the Gold Coast
- Discover hidden coves and secluded beaches if you want some quiet time
- Go sailing to see the spectacular Whitsunday Islands
7. Check Out a Sporting Event
Attending a sporting event is one of the top things to do in Australia because you get a chance to meet new people. Some sporting events worth attending include:
- The Australian Open – Better known as the Grand Slam, this event takes place in Melbourne from mid-January to end month
- International Rugby Sevens – Head down to Adelaide and watch 16 countries compete to be crowned rugby champions. This sporting event is hosted in April
- Grand Prix – Go to Melbourne in March and watch cars racing at furious speeds during the Grand Prix.
- Surfest – This is one of the premier surfing competitions in Australia. You can attend it in March at the Merewether Beach, Newcastle
8. Explore Snowy Mountains on Horseback
By visiting the Snow Mountains in Australia, you can:
- Spot brumbies’ (wild horses) in their natural habitat.
- Saddle a tamed horse and go on a guided tour of the 3,000 ha property. The scenery is one that you will relish, as it comprises of snow covered peaks and vast landscapes.
- 1 week - 2 weeks / From: £ 2000
- 2 weeks - 2 weeks / From: £ 1250
- Brisbane, Australia
- 1 week - 6 weeks / From: $ 1000
9. See the Great Barrier Reef
Famed for being the worlds' largest coral reef, the Great Barrier Reef is the only living organism visible from outer space. Upon visiting this natural wonder, you can expect to:
- Snorkel or go scuba diving among the varied, multi-coloured sea creatures that live beneath the crystalline waters
- Take scuba diving classes in Australia if you are new to the sport
10. Explore the Australian Outback
The Australian outback is one of the few remaining wilderness areas in the world. Visitors can book tours, rent a car, van or a 4-wheel drive to traverse the rugged landscape. Below are a few tips to keep in mind when going for a road trip to see Australia's expansive outback.
- Make sure to take a few pit stops. You will want to take some photos of the amazing outback scenery. The diverse landscape is dotted with picturesque gorges, stunning riverbeds and thundering waterfalls. These are also perfect places to cool off
- The terrain can be impassable during the rainy season. Peak months run from June to August, but find a place to stay in advance to avoid high accommodation fees
- Be sure to visit Ayers Rock especially to see sunrise
That winds up our list of the best 10 things to do in Australia. Of course, there is a lot more to do and explore in this amazing destination. To make the most of your trip, make sure to stay for a couple of weeks or more. Keep in mind that applying for an visa and booking accommodation in advance will help you to enjoy a smooth trip.