New Zealand Gap Year
New Zealand is one of the most popular gap year destinations in the world. You will get to see spectacular nature, world famous tourist sights, meet new people and create unforgettable memories. Experience the best time of your life in New Zealand, we have amazing gap year work and travel packages available to book all year round.
Gap Year Programs in New Zealand
Plan a Gap Year to New Zealand
Researching ideas for the best things to do on your gap year in New Zealand? The following pages will help you book an experience:
Guide to Taking a Gap Year in New Zealand
We highly recommend visiting both the North and South islands and there are so many unique and special places to visit this will really make your trip more worthwhile and enjoyable. Most flights arrive into the Auckland located in the North Island, this is at the top of the country an a good place to start a gap year. For such a small country there is a lot to keep you occupied, some top recommendations include going whale watching, hiking the Franz Josep glacier, playing giant chess in Christchurch, zorbing, partying in Queenstown and skiing in Wanaka.
There are so many highlights of this stunning destination, for a magical experience go swimming with wild dolphins in Kaikoura. If adventure is what you are after you could take a Heli-Hike up the Fox Glacier, climb the Franz Josef Glacier go skiing in Wanak or party and experience spectacular scenery in Queenstown. Considering the distance between New Zealand and the rest of the world travel costs can be high so it's a good idea to plan ahead. Adventure sports like bungee jumping, sky diving, glacier walks are everywhere. New Zealand is quiet compared to Australia for example, the population of New Zealand is around 4 million which is smaller than London! The scenery made famous in the Lord of the Rings films is spectacular.
Gap Year Jobs in New Zealand
One of the most popular ideas is to spend a gap year working in New Zealand. You can apply for a working holiday visa then seek employment throughout the country.
Gap Year Programs in New Zealand
There are so many unique programs and ideas for things you can do on your gap year here. On our directory you can search programs and packages from international companies incuding work, volunteer, intern, study and travel options. Affordable options are available all year round and are a great way to meet new people and have a more structured/settled experience rather than just exploring.
Best Things to Do on a Gap Year in New Zealand
There are so many amazing adventures in New Zealand and to get you excited and to give you some ideas check our list below...
- Go bungee jumping - Queenstown is your destination there are lots of thrilling and nerve shattering jumps but in Auckland you can also bunji jump from the Casino
- Sailing in Auckland, trips depart from the harbour
- Walk around hot springs in Rotarua
- Go Zorbing or Sea Kayaking on the South Island
- Skiing / snowboarding in Wanaka / Queenstown
- White water rafting in Queenstown
- Take an overland trip to explore the New Zealand wilderness
- Go Luging in Queenstown where you can luge with friends seeing spectacular views across the city
- Hike the famous Franz Joesph Glacier and experience something totally different. You can even go sky diving over here
- Try to catch an All Blacks game or watch a local side, the atmosphere is amazing as its the national sport
Advice for Taking a Gap Year in New Zealand
- Before departing you might want to watch a film like Whale Rider to get background information on Mouri culture, this will be a good introduction to the country.
- Don't fly between the islands, you really will miss a lot, go overland instead
- Base Backpackers hostel in Auckland is amazing
- Hiring a campervan is recommended, ir if not lots of overland bus tours operate
- Queenstown is incredible
- Skiing in Wanka is underrated
- If you want to experience New Zealand in your own time Stray Travel offer flexible hop-on hop-off bus passes of New Zealand
- You could rent your own camper van - lots of companies offer this service
- Don't worry about spending money, make sure you do, you will only regret the things you don't do
- Zorbing is expensive but a lot of fun - you can't do this is many worldwide destinations
In Christchurch try to challenge a local person to a game of giant chess in the city centre square - its a lot of fun and different way to spend an afternoon
The Tranzalpine train journey which runs from Christchurch to Greymouth is one of the most scenic routes in the world, it travels through the mountains - be sure to charge the batteries of your camera
Got anything you would like to add to the list? Contact us!
Health & Safety
There are no vaccinations required for entry but be sure to pack sunscreen as the ozone layer can be very thin in this region of the world. Skin cancer rates are much higher here than in other worldwide destinations so if you are going to be volunteering outdoors wear protective clothing / sunscreen. In your spare time there are lots of adventure sports available in this country and if you are looking to go bungee jumping, sky diving, skiing, white water rafing etc be sure you have an insurance policy which will cover you for any accidents.
New Zealand Gap Year Reviews & Experiences
Would you like to share any advice, recommendations or your experience to help future travellers? Contact us!
"I spent my gap year working in New Zealand which was amazing. Be sure to visit both islands, each is different and offer different things. New Zealand is very safe and also a lot cheaper than Australia whick makes travelling/living here better." - Matt, Wales
"I did a round the world trip visting Asia, Australia, New Zealand Fiji and the USA. New Zealand was by far my favourite place" - Gill, UK
I´ve just came back from New Zealand and looking at the pictures that I´ve brought back I still envy myself that I've been there and got to visit some really spectacular locations which would have only been possible through applying." - Michelle, Czech Republic