Teaching & TEFL Programs in United Kingdom
You might not know or think it, but the UK is a great country to teach English. The economy is doing a lot better than other countries in Europe at the moment and so a lot of newly qualified TEFL teachers are looking for employment here. Also wages are quite high. There are English speaking natives and so you might be thinking why is there a need for TEFL teachers here, well read our guide to find out more.
Teaching, Language & TEFL Jobs in the UK
Find English teaching jobs in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland
Guide to Gaining TEFL Employment in the UK
You can find different types of TEFL teaching jobs in the UK, some might include to new immigrants and refugees who are looking to learn English and settle in the UK. Whilst other esl jobs can be found at private language schools as there are always people looking to enhance their career prospects or would like to study and need English skills. Generally you might be instructing English and Business English lessons to people looking to study or work in the UK, or to teenagers at summer schools which is more casual and fun. If you are not yet qualified you might want to book a TEFL course in the United Kingdom - a lot of language schools have excellent links with recruiters and some offer jobs on completion.
Types of Positions Available:
- EFL Teacher
- Private Language Teacher
- Activity Leader
- Centre Administrator
- Centre Director
- Director of Studies
- Sports and Activities
- Summer Language Camp Staff
- Tour Guide
- Welfare Leader
Summer TEFL Jobs in the UK
If you are looking for a fantastic summer apply to work at a language summer camp! Residential summer language jobs can be joined in cities and towns throughout England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. Some positions include teaching, leading activities and leading groups on sightseeing tours. Language schools strive to provide excellent programs for students so they return home even more enthusiastic and committed to learning English. If you are energetic and hardworking, passionate about education and a dedicated team player, we encourage you to apply today! You will usually live and work together in a residence to oversee all aspects of our courses in a lively and fast-paced environment. Teamwork is essential to ensure that programs are delivered to our high standard of quality.
Recommended TEFL Recruiters in the UK
- Ardmore Language Schools run summer English courses for students from all over the world in 15 residential and two non-residential centres across the UK. Every year they recruit over 400 summer staff from thousands of applicants from the UK and Europe. We offer residential and non-residential positions and, where possible, let applicants choose a location they want to work at. Our standard contract length is for four weeks, however, we offer extensions of up to four weeks in the summer. We also have positions available at Easter and throughout the year during the off season.
- Stafford House Study Holidays offer a wide range of English and activity courses for students from all around the world. They run fourteen centres in the UK where you will work at either at university campus or private boarding school. Short term contracts are available in summer for esl and activity teachers.
Best Time to Gain Employment
There is no best time to try and find TEFL jobs in the UK, language schools and instituitions recruit new staff all year round. A popular choice is to teach at summer schools in the UK, there are lots of job vacancies during this period and a bid demand for experience and newly qualified TEFL teachers. Places you can find teaching jobs include London but please note living costs can be high here.
Sometime it can be difficult to find full time teaching employment at a language school and most of the time jobs are on a temporary basis. Salary and wages really depend on the job and the organisation who you are working for, you can expect an hourly rate of around £10 per hour but sometimes this is higher. You can also charge more for private lessons.
Accommodation usually isn't included in a lot of job packages unless you are teaching at a summer school. Sometimes if you live outside of the EU it can be difficult to gain a work visa.
- Aged 18+
- Be eligible for a work visa if you are applying from overseas
- If you are an English as a Foreign Language Teacher and hold a CELTA, Trinity Cert TESOL, DELTA
- Passionate about working with children and thrive in a fast paced multicultural environment
- Holding qualifications in anything relevant e.g. dance, drama, sports, languages, First Aid or Lifeguard is a bonus
- Bonus if you have a Trinity Dip TESOL, PGCE in English or equivalent recognised by the British Council
- If you would like to progress your career
Where to Find TEFL Jobs in the UK
You can find TEFL employment throughout the UK, popular places to work include:
- Bury St Edmunds
- Felsted (nr Braintree)
London & Surrounding Area
- Chalfont St Giles
- St Albans
- Oakham, Rutland
- Blandford Forum (Dorset)
- Crowthorne (nr Bracknell)
- Isle of Wight
- Petersfield, Hants
- Shaftesbury, Dorset
- Haywards Heath
- Hurstpierpoint (nr Brighton)
- Tunbridge Wells
- St Andrews