Poland Travel Guide
Poland is a country steeped in history and culture and there are so many highlights including exploring cities like Warsaw and Krakow. View our comprehensive Poland travel and backpacking guide with tips, ideas for the best things to see and do and information about itineraries, costs, how to save money, and more!
Activities & Things to Do in Poland
Travel to Poland
Our destination guide aims to give you all the information you need to have an amazing experience in this amazing country. Find affordable travel and backpacking ideas with advice for amazing things to do and how you can be more than just your average traveller. You can also get recommendations for budget travel tips, where to stay and advice how to stay safe.
Get inspired to visit Poland today!
- Capital - Warsaw
- Largest City in Poland - Warsaw (population 1,700,000 approx)
- Currency - Zloty (PLN)
- Area - 312,000 km²
- Population - 39,000,000 (approx)
- Language - Polish
- International Calling Code +48
Top Reasons to Visit Poland
Poland is often overlooked but here are some reasons why you might want to make this country your next destination:
- Facsinating cities with history and culture
- Great value for money especially compared to similar European destinations
- Friendly people
- Getting to explore Warsaw and Krakov, both amazing cities with lots of churches, squares and palaces to visit
- There are fourteen UNESCO World Heritage Sites
- Poland is blessed with National Parks and beauty spots including the Tatra National Park or the Białowieża National Park
- There are also lots of impressive castles including Wawel Castle in Krakov which is one of the best
Getting to Poland
There are several ways to enter Poland including flying, rail and road. The easiest and quickest way to get to Poland from most international destinations is by plane.
Airlines that fly direct to Poland from United Kingdom include:
- British Airways, LOT, easyJet, Ryanair, Wizz Air, Jet2
Other airlines flying to Poland from international destinations include:
- Lufthansa, Brussels Airlines, Turkish Airlines, KLM, Flybe, WOW air, Air France, Norwegian Air, KLM Cityhopper, SWISS, Ukraine International, Czech Airlines, SAS flights eurowings, Belavia, Finnair, Iberia, Smart Wings, Austrian Airlines, TAP Air Portugal, Adria, Aeroflot, Aegean Airlines, bmi regional, Vueling Airlines, Luxair, Norwegian and airBaltic.
To get the best deals you will need to book in advance and also travel out of the busy summer season. We recommend searching flights on Skyscanner which is the best flight comparison website.
There are lots of hotels, hostels, apartments and AirBnB for all budgets. If you are looking for somewhere cheap to stay, use Hostelbookers or Booking.com to search for places to stay at the best prices.
Best Places to Visit in Poland
There are so many places you can visit in Poland, here are some places to add to your itinerary:
- Kazimierz Dolny
- Bialowieza Forest
- Tatra National Park
Travelling in Poland
Here are some useful tips and things to know before visiting Poland:
Budget & General Costs:
Poland is one of the cheapest countries to visit in Europe and although prices have risen in the past few years there is still great value to be had especially compared to places like France and Spain. You can easily get by on a small budget and there are also so many things to do which are free like going to the beach or exploring the city on foot. To save money you can avoid eating and drinking in the main touristy squares and try the backstreets for a more local and cheaper experience.
Health & Safety:
Poland is a very safe destination and very few visitors encounter any problems.
We recommend trying to learn some basics of the local language just to be politce and make your experience here easier and more fun.