South Korea Travel & Tours
South Korea is an incredible country with exciting destinations, ancient temples and modern high tech cities. Highlights of visiting Korea include sampling the local cuisine, exploring cities like Seoul, checking new technology and seeing ancient temples. Get inspired to travel to Korea today.
Korea Travel Ideas, Gap Year Programs & Experiences
Find inspiration for the best things to do if you would like to go travelling, backpacking or take a gap year in Korea.
South Korea Travel Guide
- Capital - Seoul
- Government - Republic
- Currency - Won (₩)
- Country Size - 98,480 km²
- Population - 49,044,790 (approx)
- Language - Korean
How to Get to South Korea
The only way to get to South Korea is by air or by sea. Most international tourists arrive via flights which into lang into Incheon internationa in Seoul. An alternative is to arrive by boat from Japan or China. You can find direct flights from the UK to South Korea, the journey takes around 11 hours. From the US several international airlines fly direct from airports throughout the country with the journey taking around 14 hours.
Best Time to Visit South Korea
You can visit South Korea all year round but we highly recommend arriving during spring which is around April to June. The climate is not too warm and this is when the flowers are blooming and it is very pleasant to travel around the country. Summer, July to September is generally very warm and also has a lot of rain due to it being monsoon season. Winter in South Korea, around December to March can be extremely cold.
Top Places to Visit in South Korea
There are so many places you should consider adding to your South Korea travel itinerary, here are some of our top recommendations:
- Seoraksan National Park
- Jeju Island
- Yeongam Gurim Village
- Bukchon Hanok Village
- The Demiliterized Zone (DMZ)
- Andong and Hahoe Folk Villages
Gap Year in South Korea
Interested in taking a gap year to South Korea? Good decision. This country will be a huge culture shock but it will be one of the most enjoyable experiences of your life. There are lots of different gap year packages and programs available in places lik Seoul, search options and apply today. If you would like to stay a little longer you could apply to spend your gap year working in South Korea. A popular option is to take a TEFL certification course and then work as a foreign language teacher. Salaries and living conditions are high and you will get to meet other people from all over the world.
Public transport is cheap and effective, the subway system is fast whilst traveling overland on a bus can seem confusing at first but its a great way to see more of the city. Some things you might not know about life in Seoul / South Korea is you can get food delivered to your door 24 hours a day. Seoul is quite a lively city, a lot of people stay out or party till the early hours and it helps when shops, restaurant and internet cafes stay open. A visit to a relaxation spa is recommended, you will be able to mix with locals and other internationals. Also one more thing we have missed, you will have to try karaoke - one of the locals passions which people in Seoul love!
There are a number of famous local festivals held throughout the year in South Korea, here are some you should try to catch:
- Cherry blossom festivals
- Jeonju International Film Festival
- Buddha’s Birthday
- International Mime Festival
- Boryeong Mud Festival
- International Puppet Festival
- Firefly Festival
- Gwangju Biennale
- Andong Mask Dance
- Busan International Film Festival
- Baekje Festival
- World Martial Arts Festival
- Gimchi Festival
- Pepero Day
South Korea Travel Tips
- Budget: The cost of traveling in Korea is one of the biggest things which might hold you back, this is a very expensive destination even by Western standards. Food is one of the biggest appeals of visiting this country, you can find restaurants for all budgets and bowls of noodles are generally very cheap.
- Accommodation: This can be your biggest cost here, hotels charge high prices whilst there are not that many budget range hostels on offer. This is why you might want to apply to join a tour where accommodation is usually included in the price you pay.
- Food & Eating Out: To save money you might want to get food at local markets and at supermarkets where you can buy packet food like noodles fairly cheaply. There are Western food options available so if you are having cravings for 'normal' cuisine or feeling a bit homesick you can usually get a burger and chips is most locations.
Adventure Tours in Korea
Our tours are perfect if you are travelling solo and would like to meet other people and travel in a group. You will get to meet other international travellers and get taken to the best locations in the country with an experienced guide. Most of our tours specifically cater for the 18-35 age group and are a really popular option due to meeting other people, getting day-to-day activities, hotel check-ins, selected meals, accommodation and also transport/guides included in the price. Don't worry if you are slightly older, most tours accept all ages.
Korea Budget Tours
We have a selection of tours for all budgets, so whether you are looking to explore on the cheap or you have a bit more money to spend you will be able to find a trip to match your interests. Our website features lots of cheap tours of Korea allowing you to discover the highlights of the country and not break the bank.
- Accommodation: Usually travellers of the same sex will share a twin room, but there is also the option to pay a little extra and get a private room. Accommodation can vary depending on the tour and location.
- Group Sizes: Typical group sizes are around 10-18 travellers with an average of 12 but this can vary between the tour and operator.
- Transport: On most Korean tours you will travel overland in a private small tour van. For day trips and excursions sometimes you will use public transport and sometimes use internal flights to allow you to see the highlights as quick as possible.
How to Book
You can search our featured trips above or contact us for specific advice.