Taiwan Travel, Tours, Gap Year & Volunteering
Taiwan is located on an island off the southeast coast of China which has beautiful coastlines, modern cities, tasty local cuisine, street markets and visit world-class shopping centers. Visiting Taiwan will be a totally different experience where you can experience high living standards in a different culture.
Holidays, Gap Year Programs & Travel ideas in Taiwan
Discover Taiwan with our authentic holidays from specialist international and local travel operators.
Taiwan Travel Guide
Travel to Taiwan with One World 365 and search our amazing activities and trips. View travel advice on our guide including tips for places to go, the best packages available and get information about costs, accommodation, transport, health and safety and how to visit Taiwan on a budget.
- Capital: Taipei
- Currency: New Taiwan dollar (TWD)
- Country Size: 35,980km²
- Population: 23,355,000 (approx)
- Language: Mandarin Chinese (official), Taiwanese, Hakka
Travel to Taiwan
Here are some great reasons to book a trip to Taiwan:
- Experience life in the Far East and learn more about a different culture
- Try new foods
- See a sky lantern festival
- Explore Taipei - one of the most modern and interesting cities in Asia
Best Places to See in Taiwan
- Taroko National Park
- Gold Ecological Park
- Golden Waterfall
- Yin Yang Sea
- Mountain KeeLung
- Long Shan Temple
- Shi Fen Waterfall
- Sun Yat Sen Memorial Hall
- Penghu Islands
- Yangming Mountain
- Kenting National Park
- Alishan National Scenic Area
Gap Year in Taiwan
Thinking about taking a gap year to the far East? Search ideas, trips and programs in Taiwan on our travel directory. You will get to experience world class destinations like the city of Taipei which is a mix of new and old and this is where most international flights arrive. There are lots of different options available.
There are tours of Taipei and also some operators offer overland trips where you can see more of the country. Here are some amazing activities you can do:
- Taipei - Tea Tasting
- Taipei - Dihua Street Walk
- Taipei - 'Sweet Potato Mama for a Day' experience
- Taroko Gorge - Shakadang or Baiyang Trail hike
- Hualien - Night Markets
- Hualien - Qingshui Cliff
- Yilan - Spring Onion Farm
- Jiufen - Old Town tour
- Turtle Island - Boat Tour
- Sun Moon Lake - Bike Ride
- Puli - Chung Tai Chan Monastery
- Nantou - Tea Farm
- Sanyi - Wood Sculpture Old Street
- Sanyi - Longteng Bridge
Volunteer in Taiwan
There are lots of local grassroots organisations and charities which offer free volunteer programs and also international companies which offer structured placements.
Homestay programs are available where you can help local people learn English in exchange for free food and accommodation. You could also join the World Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms (WWOOF) and experience living and working in rural locations. Search volunteer programs and be more than just a tourist and do something worthwhile with your time in Taiwan.
When thinking about volunteering in Asia not many people consider Taiwan as an option, here are some good reasons why you might want to apply:
- There are lots of ways to make a beneficial contribution
- This is a very safe country to visit
- Local people are very friendly even if their English skills are not fluent
- Although Taiwan isn't a poor country, it is one of the most densely populated countries on the planet with a big divide between the rich and the poor
- You can get involved with a range of projects like community, arts, culture initiatives, social projects, education and working with disadvantaged and elderly people
Location of Projects
Most projects are based in the capital city - Taipei but where you are based really depends on the program you join. You will find opportunities in large cities and also rural locations - both offer completely different experiences. You might also like to search volunteer programs in China or apply to volunteer in Japan.
Length of Placements
Some local organisations offer flexible short term placements but larger international companies offer structured 6-12 month programs
Cost & How to Apply
You can search our featured organisations and apply today to join at a future date. Generally international companies and gap year organisations charge a fee, this can vary depending on how long you want to participate for and includes placements, support, meals and accommodation.
If you apply direct with NGO's or local organisations you might be required to arrange accommodation, transport and be a little more independent - this is perfect if you are looking to volunteer on a budget as a lot of projects are free to join. Usually you will need to be 18 to apply, and also be able to cover the cost of flights to Taiwan.
Free & Low Cost Volunteer Opportunities in Taiwan
Lots of local charities and local organisations offer free volunteer placements to international participants. Click the organisations tab to search all opportunities.