Canada Tours, Gap Year & Backpacking Trips
Canada is one of the most popular destinations in the world with incredible cities and spectacular sights like the Rockies and Niagara Falls. Find activities and things to do if you would like to travel, go backpacking or take a gap year in Canada.
Activities, Trips & Things to Do in Canada
Find the best small-group tours, travel experiences, affordable backpacking adventures & gap year programs in Canada.
Best Canada Travel Operators
Find local & international companies offering the best trips and experiences in Canada.
Travel to Canada
Bordered by beautiful oceans, Canada is an amazing country to visit and boasts one of the highest standards of living in the world.
One World 365 features lots of amazing experiences, gap year trips, adventure tours, backpacker deals and cheap travel packages to Canada. You will get to explore destinations and enjoy the best time of your life.
On our travel guide you can find ideas for what to do including tips for places to go, the best packages available and get information about costs, accommodation, transport, health and safety and how to visit Canada on a budget.
- Capital - Ottawa
- Currency - Canadian Dollar (CAD)
- Population - 34,483,000 (approx)
- Language - English + French
- International Dailing Code +1
- Area - 9,976,000 km2
- Health & Safety - Canada is a very safe country to visit, you shouldn't encounter any problems when visiting also there are no vaccinations requirements required to enter
Travelling & Backpacking in Canada
Canada is a travellers dream and you can't leave without visiting Niagara Falls which is on the border with both New York State and Ontario. The waterfalls are breathtaking and somewhere you must visit once in your life. You should visit Horseshoe Falls which is probably the most magnificent waterfalls of Niagara or book a river cruise and get up close to the famous falls. There are also plenty of places to see in the surrounding areas of Niagara Falls, you could take a city break to Torinto or sample drinks in Canada's wine growing region. The city of Buffalo in Canada is not far and quite enjoyable too.
One place not to miss is the Canadian Rockies, this area is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and one of the highlights of the country. National Parks in Canada which we recommend checking out include the Jasper National Park, Banff National Park and Yoho National Park whilst taking a trip to Vancouver Island & Tofino can be a great experience. One favorite destination is Vancouver, British Columbia. The city with many sky scrapers has so many public art that walking through the city feels like walking through an outdoor modern art museum. You should also try to see the Shuswap Lakes, checking out the Columbia and Icefields Parkways, going to visit Prince George, catch a ferry through he inside passage and go to the Ksan Indian Village.
Weather & Best Time to Visit
Due to the size of Canada the weather varies depending on where you located. Canada stretches from the Pacific to Atlantic Ocean, covering five time zones. In winter temperatures plumet and snow can cause havoc so its best to be prepared if you are visiting around October - April time.
- Montreal Weather - In winter you can expect it to be cold and snowy. The cold in Montreal can be especially biting because of the wind-chill factor. Snowfall usually begins in November and continues through March. During winter months, the daytime temperatures are between -6°C to -15°C. Summer temperatures range from 15°C to 25°C.
- Toronto Weather - In winter the weather is milder than most Canadian cities, yet still cold and snowy. Summer temperatures range from 15°C to 25°C. During winter months, the daytime temperatures are between -10°C to 12°C.
- Vancouver Weather - Wet, yet mild throughout the year. Summer in Vancouver is pleasantly warm with an average temperature of 22°C. Winters are wet, but snow is rare. Average daily temperatures in winters range from 3°C to 7°C.
Top Places to Visit in Canada
Places you might want to check out include:
- The Jasper National Park is great to visit, this is a huge park and quite remote. If you enjoy hiking or climbing there are numerous opportunities to explore. Recommended places to visit include the the Miette Hot Springs and the Icefields Parkway which will not disappoint.
- You can't visit Canada without seeing the Banff National Park, if you love being in the outdoors you might want to join a camping trip where you can see wild moose in their natural habitat.
- Vancouver located in British Columbia is a popular place to visit, we recommend seeing a ice hockey game and enjoy the atmosphere of this great American past time. Vancouver is a modern city with large skyscrapers but you can relax in Stanley park which is a great place to spend an afternoon.
- Toronto is a popular destination be sure to visit the famous tower for great views across the city
- Head to Whistler for skiing and snowboarding, these slopes are probably up there with the best in the world
Canada Travel Tips
- How to Get Around: There is a public bus service which is very reliable and connects you to most towns and cities at low prices. If you hire a car or campervan its best to shop around for the best deal, also check notice boards in hostels as there are always travelers looking to sell their vehicles. There are also trains and internal flights but if you want to see as much as possible we don't really recommend these modes of transport.
- Accommodation: There are many places to stay while you visit, hostels are popular with travellers from all over the world but there are also other options. If you have a larger budget you can stay in world class hotels, or you might want to rent your own campervan to see more of the country. If you are planning to stay for a long period, you can find cheap accomodation by reading hostel message boards for people offering flat / house shares. Generally if you stay outside of the main city centres or out of the main tourist areas you will get cheaper accommodation. Some companies offer trips which include accommodation which is great as Canada can be quite expensive to visit.
- Budget Tips: There are ways to save money when visiting Canada. For example not drinking too much alcohol and shopping at local supermarkets rather than eating out.
Canada Gap Year
Canada is one of the most scenic countries in the world with amazing cities, nature and famous sights like Niagara Falls. If you are considering taking a gap year why not join an increasing number of people who are choosing to travel to Canada. Search gap year jobs, trips and programs in Canada today. Researching ideas for the best things to do on your gap year in Canada? Our directory will help you book an experience. You might like to also combine experiences and research a USA gap year too
Canada is one of the most popular gap year destinations, thousands of students, graduates and gappers visit every year to experience the laid back lifestyle and adventure activities on offer. Canada has spectacular mountains and landscapes, amazing diverse cities, numerous national parks and natural beauty spots - this will be the gap year of a lifetime. You should definately visit Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal, Whistler, Jasper, Banf or the Rockies.
Canada is a very easy country to navigate and local people speak English so booking transport and getting around the country is very easy. If you are just looking to travel then ideally you'll need at least a month to see as much as possible, it might be an idea to hire a car or meet people at a hostel to travel with if you are looking to get off the beaten track. On packages you will be with experienced guides who know the best places to visit, they will be able to tell you lots of information you might not otherwise find out and can really improve your experience.
We have a exciting range of the best sightseeing and group adventure tours in Canada with top rated local and international tour operators. From exploring major cities, rural small towns, spectacular National Parks and various adventures there is so much to see and do but the good thing is there are lots of trips available which you can match to your interests. From walking city tours in Vancouver and Toronto to exploring the Canadian wilderness and the Rocky mountains on a dogsled adventure safari, there are lots of trips available.
On a tour in Canada you will get to see more of the country in a small group with an experience guide who will be able to take you to the vest best places. The tours we promite will get you far away from the hustle and bustle of cities like Vancouver and Toronto and you will get to experience the real Canada. Take in the sights in Alberta and British Columbia, explore the Yukon region, view spectacular fjords, travel down the Pacific coast, view remote farms and ranches.
There are lots of tours which explore Western Canada, you will get to explore off the beaten track places and meet local people. From a city tour in Toronto to visiting the spectacular Banff National Park you will not be bored in this country. Banff and Lake Louise are spectacular and from here you can go on adventure sports trips like skiing and snowboarding. If it is your first time visiting we recommend visiting St. Lawrence Market and the CN Tower in Toronto, exploring the mountains of the Rockies, watching a hockey game in Vancouver, seeing live music and bands in Montreal, going to Thunder Bay, going skiing in Banff.
There are so many adventures available and with mountains to climb, glaciers to see, waterfalls to swim in, wilderness to explore and also some of the best ski slopes in the world you will be able to find a tour to match your interests.
Best Canada Tour Operators
Are you wondering what are the best Canada tour companies to book with are? On One World 365 you can search and compare trips from top rated Canada tour operators including Contiki, G Adventures and Topdeck Travel. Thousands of people travel with these companies every year and they offer highly rated guided tours with good reviews.
Usually travellers of the same sex will share a twin room, but there is also the option to pay a little extra and get a private room. Accommodation can vary depending on the tour and location. Some tours also include homestays which allow for a facsinating cultural exchange.
On most tours you will travel overland in a private small tour van. For day trips and excursions sometimes you will use public transport and sometimes use internal flights to allow you to see the highlights as quick as possible. Prices vary depending on the tour, company, time of year and duration.
Top Reasons to Book a Tour in Canada
Benefits of joining a tour include going off the beaten track, having a lot of fun and you will get the stress taken out of the experience and be taken to some off the beaten track destinations which are hard to access on public transport. You will also learn a lot more than traveling solo, tour guides will be able to explain the history of Canada and the places you visit. There are departure dates all year round and the price really depends on the tour you choose.
You could explore 10 provinces and 3 territories including Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Northwest Territories, Nova Scotia, Ontario, Prince Edward Island, Quebec, Saskatchewan and Yukon.
Popular places to visit include Calgary, Edmonton, Hamilton, Kitchener, Montreal, Niagara Falls, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City, Vancouver and Winnipeg.
Small Group Tours in Canada
Typical group sizes are around 8-18 travellers with an average of 12 but this can vary between the tour and operator. Some hop on and hop off bus tours have larger sizes.
Overland & Adventure Tours in Canada
Travelling overland is one of the best ways to see Canada. There are lots of companies offering overland trips where you will get to visti multiple destinations. Departures are monthly and duration and prices vary depending on the operator. We have a selection of tours which are exclusively designed for 18-35's, where you can discover the country with likeminded similar aged travellers. You will need to book in advance to secure a spot as places can fill up quick especially during summer.
In summer camping-based tours in the great outdoors is recommended and you can do activities like horse riding, climbing and trekking whilst a winter tour of Canada can include adventure sports like skiing and snowboarding in between travelling. These are very active trips where you will get to see more of British Colombia. Highlights include seeing wildlife like whales and seals, exploring Vancouver, riding bikes around Stanley Park, walking in stunning remote areas, going rafting and visiting places like Tofino and Whistler.
A visit to Canada wouldn't be complete without seeing the amazing Rockies, there are not many places like it in the world! Camping trips in the Rockies are popular, you will be able to experience the true Canadian experience and its best to do this with an experienced guide or on a tour. Safety always is a priority and the rugged terrain means it is easy to get lost or encounter wildlife.
Budget Tours of Canada
Exploring Canada doesn't have to be expensive, there are budget trips available. To make the best savings you will need to be well in advance or last minute. If you are planning on traveling solo or just want to enjoy the best possible time, we recommend you join a tour in Canada. On our website you can search lots of adventures where you can meet new friends from all over the world and travel in comfort and style. There are trips for all budgets too, you can travel on a shoestring or pay a little extra for more comfort.
How to Book
Search and compare trips in Canada today. You will need to book in advance to secure your spot especially during summer. If you need any help please get in touch.