Borneo Travel, Backpacking & Travel Guide
Borneo is an exotic destination where you can explore Sabah and Sarawak, climb mountains, see rare and endangered wildlife, explore National Parks, relax on spectacular beaches or go island hopping. Get information, advice and inspiration for the best things to do if you would like to travel, go backpacking or take a gap year in Borneo.
Borneo Travel Ideas, Backpacking Trips & Gap Year Programs
Travel to Borneo
Borneo is a true paradise and our destination guide aims to give you all the information you need to have an amazing experience. Find affordable travel and backpacking ideas with advice for amazing things to do and how you can be more than just your average traveller. You can also get recommendations for budget travel tips, where to stay and advice how to stay safe.
Get inspired to visit Borneo today!
- Population: 20 million (approx)
- Capital: Kuching & Kota Kinabalu
- Currency: Malaysian Ringit (RM)
- Language: Malay, Chinese and local tribal languages
- Religion: Christian, Muslim, Animist
- Visa: Not required for UK citizens (other nationalities will need to check)
- Time Zone: GMT +8
Top Reasons to Visit Borneo
- A true paradise and less busy compares to other places in Asia like Thailand and Vietnam
- See some of the most exotic wildlife in the world
- Learn what efforts are being made to protect rainforests and wildlife
- Spectacular islands and beaches
- Lots of adventure activities
How to Get to Borneo
You can catch international flights into Malaysia and Indonesia then travel to Borneo via boat or flight. Flight times are around 17 hours from London to Kota Kinabalu. You can also fly from destination within Asia with budget airlines like Air Asia.
Weather & Best Time to Visit Borneo
Borneo is a warm destination all year round and there really isn't a best time to visit. Most months Borneo averages a temperature of around 30 degrees. Sometimes the weather can be unpredictable, this is a tropic island, the most rain usually falls around December and January but this shouldn't put you off visiting during this period.
We wouldn't recommend booking a break to Borneo based on the weather, any time you are planning on visiting will most likely be warm. The main peak season is generally from May through to September and book accommodation and excursions in advance to avoid places being full.
Best Places to See in Borneo
Borneo might look small on a map but there are so many places to visit, here are some essential destinations to add to your itinerary:
- Comprising the northwestern corner of Borneo, Sarawak is a delightful mixture of high mountains, dense jungle, intricate cave systems and lots of activities
- Sabah is a popular destination for people seeking beaches, jungle and wildlife.
- Mt. Kinabalu - adventure climbs available to book
- Sepilok Orangutan Rehabilition Centre
- Other to places you might want to visit include the Gunung Mulu National Park, Batang Ai National Park. Kuching, Lankayan Island, Sandakan, Selingan Island, Sipadan Island and the Danum Valley
Travelling & Backpacking in Borneo
Would you like to visit spectacular beaches, explore lush rainforests and see exotic wildlife? Travel to Borneo! This will be the most incredible experience of your life.
Borneo Travel Tips
A dorm bed in a hostel costs between £4-10 a night. A double room with a bathroom in your average hotel will cost around £10-15. Luxury options are also available for an extra price.
Budget for Traveling in Borneo:
Borneo can be an experience country to travel in but it depends on what activities you would like to do. If you would like to go backpacking in Borneo then you will be able to travel on a budget if you choose accommodation and things to do carefully.
Fresh seafood, Satay, Bario rice, jungle fern - Western options also available in the larger areas.
Recommended Books to Read Before Departing:
Kalimantaan by C.S. Godshalk, Stranger in the Forest: On Foot Across Borneo by Eric Hansen & Footprints in the Paddy Fields by Tina Kisil.
Gap Year in Borneo
Looking to visit somewhere exotic on your gap year? We highly recommend you plan a trip to Borneo! With incredible wildlife, beautiful nature, stunning white sandy beaches andthere are also lots of programs available. You will get to enjoy the experience of your life. Search trips today!
If you are researching ideas for the best things to do on your gap year in Borneo our directory will appeal to you. Our programs and experiences are unique and far more rewarding than most.
From cities to remote wilderness you will get to experience the thrills of Borneo. If you would like to learn more about the island and experience nature, wildlife, adventure, culture, tasty food and drink, white sandy beaches, dense jungle and thrilling activities then our authentic holidays will appeal to you.