Work in Indonesia
Interested in working in Indonesia? Dream of waking up somewhere like Bali or Lombok and getting paid? Wondering if this is even possible? We have put together a guide work living and working in Indonesia for internationals where you can get advice and find recruiters.
Guide to Working in Indonesia
If the idea of working in South-East Asia appeals to you then you really should consider Indonesia. Although most people choose to work in Thailand and more popular tourist destinations Indonesia offers a great alternative. Depending on your area of interest you can find work throughout different areas of Indonesia like Java, Banten, South Sulawesi, Riau, Sumatra, Bali and Lombok.
There are local and international companies based in Indonesia which hire international staff throughout the year. Where you go really depends on your interests and skills, if you have any professional experience then cities like Jakarta might be best suited to you as this is where most professional jobs can be found. But if you are just after flexible holiday jobs then places like Bali will probably be best.
Top Tips How to Get Employment in Indonesia as a Foreigner
- If you have no previous experience and are totally new to the idea of working abroad a great way to get your foot in the door of a company, especially if you are seeking a professional career is to apply for internships in Indonesia.
- Applying for postions on jobsites can be frustrating as you are very unlikely to get an interview especially if you live abroad
- You are best contacting companies direct or seeking out employment locally
- If you have no knowledge of the local language try to learn basic Sinhalese
Top Reasons to Work in Indonesia
- Discover a new culture
- Indonesia is a cheap country compared to nearby destinations like working in Singapore and Malaysia
- Have you seen the islands and beaches?
- See spectacular places in your spare time
Types of Jobs
There are vacancies in a range of different industries including:
- Bar work - Expat bars hire English speaking staff
- Education - a popular option for expats is to teach English in Indonesia
- Hotels / hostels - some accommodation providers offer flexible positions
- Non-Profit - there are lots of volunteer programs in Indonesia although generally unpaid
- Scuba Diving - dive schools in Indonesia hire international staff all year round
- Sports instructor - there are lots of activity and surf schoos in Indonesia needing English speaking staff
- Yoga - yoga resorts in Indonesia also need English speaking staff
- Tourism - travel companies hire tour guides to lead tours in Indonesia
Popular Places to Seek Employment
You find a better chance of getting paid work in tourism hotspots and also the larger towns and cities like:
- South Tangerang
- Bandar Lampung
Work in Jakarta
Jakarta is a mega city - bustling with life, people and noise. This is a great city to work if you enjoy large cities.
Work in Bali & Lombok
Most internationals are drawn to exotic locations like Bali and Lombok due to the incredible beaches, relaxed vibe and great living. This is a where a lot of expats have set up businesses and hire seasonal workers for summer and year round.