Teach English in Indonesia
Indonesia is an amazing country to live and work as an English teacher. Expect bustling cities, exotic islands, beautiful beaches, tasty food and friendly locals. If the idea of going to teach in Indonesia appeals to you there are TEFL courses and jobs in places like Jakarta and Bali.
TEFL Courses & Teaching Jobs in Indonesia
A Guide to Teaching in Indonesia
View information and search TEFL courses and teaching jobs throughout Indonesia. So what are you waiting for, apply for the experience of a lifetime and choose Indonesia as your TEFL destination.
Top Reasons to Appy
If you are thinking about teaching English in Asia there are so many reasons why you should choose Indonesia include:
- This is an exotic country with culture, history and pure natural beauty - a lot less touristy than other countries nearby too
- There are some of the best beaches in the world here and lots of places to visit in your spare time
- The children and local people are incredibly friendly and pay you huge respect
- Local teachers are massively supportive and will help guide you through the first few difficult weeks adjusting to life in the classroom
TEFL Courses in Indonesia
If you are not yet TEFL certified, why not consider taking your TEFL course in Indonesia. There are some classroom courses which can be booked every month of the year. Another option is to take a top rated online TEFL course which allows you to study via the internet from anywhere in the country.
Teach English in Jakarta
Jakarta is a huge city, pieced together with concrete slabs, crumbling pavements and grid locked streets. At first glance it appears to be a rather intimidating and overwhelming place, but if you like big cities then choosing this destination will be the right decision. This is the capital of Indonesia and the best and most popular place for TEFL teachers to live and work.
Teach English in Bali
One of the most popular tourist destinations in the world, Bali appeals for so many reasons not least he laid back culture, beaches and vibe. If you would like to stay longer you can stay and teach here. Due to the huge tourism industry local people are very keen to learn English and so there is a demand for TEFL workers all year round. This is our top recommended destination due to the stunning location!
Teach English in Yogyakarta
Located in Central Java, Yogyakarta is a cultured destination with a huge population. 60% of Indonesians live here and there are opportunities to work throughout the area. This region is well known for its arts and culture, there will be lots of things to keep you busy in your spare time.
If you are looking for a more relaxed destination to live and work as a TEFL teacher and Jakarta doesn't appeal, we highly recommend Yogyakarta. This is one of the most popular places for Indonesia students to live and study partly due to some of the best schools and universities in Indonesia being located here.
You will be able to find employment through a institution or leading private lessons.
Eligibility & How to Get a TEFL Job in Indonesia
- Most employers prefer native speakers - US, Canadian, British - although it is possible to get a job not being a native, you just need to work harder and try to make good contacts
- You will find a CELTA course is very highly regarded
- If you don't have any previous experience you might like to apply to work in Asia or volunteer in Indonesia which is a good way to improve your skills
- Try to learn some of the local language, even the basics will help
Wages & Cost of Living
How much you get paid to teach English in Indonesia really depends on where you work and which company hired you. Wages and vary drastically from city to city, generally jobs pay around 10 million rupiah per month, this is around £650, €800, US$1000. Some institutions offer lower wages but have incentives like free air-fare or free accommodation. The cost of living is very low compared to other destination in Asia meaning you should be able to save money and have an active social life.