Teach English in Indonesia
Apply to work as an English teacher in Indonesia. This country is appealing for so many reasons, expect tasty food, friendly locals, beautiful beaches and a wealth of TEFL opportunities include paid jobs and internships. You can find employment in exotic destinations like Jakarta and Bali.
Teaching, Language & TEFL Jobs in Indonesia
Guide to Teaching in Indonesia
View feedback from previous teachers who have worked in Indonesia teaching English and provide advice about teaching in Indonesia without a degree. So what are you waiting for, apply for the experience of a lifetime and choose Indonesia as your TEFL destination.
Top Reasons to Appy
- This is an exotic country with culture, history and pure natural beauty - a lot less touristy than other countries nearby too
- There are some of the best beaches in the world here and lots of places to visit in your spare time
- The children and local people are incredibly friendly and pay you huge respect
- Local teachers are massively supportive and will help guide you through the first few difficult weeks adjusting to life in the classroom
Best Places to Teach English in Indonesia
Jakarta is a huge city, pieced together with concrete slabs, crumbling pavements and grid locked streets. At first glance it appears to be a rather intimidating and overwhelming place, but if you like big cities then choosing this destination will be the right decision. This is the capital of Indonesia and the best and most popular place for TEFL teachers to live and work.
One of the most popular tourist destinations in the world, Bali appeals for so many reasons not least he laid back culture, beaches and vibe. If you would like to stay longer you can stay and teach here. Due to the huge tourism industry local people are very keen to learn English and so there is a demand for TEFL workers all year round. This is our top recommended destination due to the stunning location!
Located in Central Java, Yogyakarta is a cultured destination with a huge population. 60% of Indonesians live here and there are opportunities to work throughout the area. This region is well known for its arts and culture, there will be lots of things to keep you busy in your spare time. If you are looking for a more relaxed destination to live and work as a TEFL teacher and Jakarta doesn't appeal, we highly recommend Yogyakarta. This is one of the most popular places for Indonesia students to live and study partly due to some of the best schools and universities in Indonesia being located here. You will be able to find employment through a institution or leading private lessons.
Eligibility & Top Tips to Gain a ESL Job in Indonesia
- Most employers prefer native speakers - US, Canadian, British - although it is possible to get a job not being a native, you just need to work harder and try to make good contacts
- You will find a CELTA course is very highly regarded
- Try to learn some of the local language
Wages & Cost of Living
How much you get paid to teach in Indonesia really depends on where you work and which company hired you. Wages and vary drastically from city to city, generally jobs pay around 10 million rupiah per month, this is around £650, €800, US$1000. Some institutions offer lower wages but have incentives like free air-fare or free accommodation. The cost of living is very low compared to other destination in Asia meaning you should be able to save money and have an active social life.