The Build Project is a not-for-profit venture working with Burmese migrant students in Mae Sot, Thailand.
Our objective is to establish a vocational training programme for young people living on the Thai-Burma Border, commencing August 2010.
The Build Project aims to:
* Establish a framework and curriculum for skills-based training
* Create the Connections student sponsorship programme with Victorian VCE students
* Provide a residential training institute in Mae Sot
* Deliver up-to-date and relevant training to students aged 17-23
* Engage English-speaking volunteers as teachers and curriculum specialists
* Involve local Burmese migrants in teaching and supporting students
* Promote multi-ethnic understanding and provide student leadership programmes
Our programme will promote community involvement as part of the learning experience and will have a strong focus on helping to build skills and capacity within the Burmese community on the Thai-Burma Border.
Want to Volunteer?
1. 1 Volunteer in Thailand
1. 1.1 Opportunities
2. 2 Volunteer in Melbourne
1. 2.1 Opportunities
Apply to Volunteer
IAPS Teaching Calendar
Volunteer at IAPS
Young people from Burma living in Thailand need your help to build skills, build community and build a future.
The young people we work with are full of ideas for smart solutions which will help them and their communities. But they need outside help to make their vision a reality.
Many of the students have experienced a life of instability, ordeals which have forced them to leave their homeland, and now face a life of disadvantage as displaced people who are denied basic rights. Through education and training, they aim to make the most of the opportunities that are available to them, and help to play a positive role within the community of people from Burma living in Thailand.
The Build Project is a grassroots non-profit run entirely by volunteers. We are independent and not affiliated with any religious or ethnic group. By joining us you can help these resilient and determined young people achieve a future that would otherwise be impossible.
Volunteer in Thailand
We need experienced people to work in a range of roles at the Institue of Academic and Practical Studies in Mae Sot (IAPS). Read about Volunteering at IAPS to learn how the programme works, and for more details on our requirements and the application process. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Teachers: English as a Second Language
* Teachers: Thai as a Second Language
* Teachers / Trainers: Computer Studies or Information Technology
* Live-in Youth workers
* IAPS administrator
If you're interested in helping out, please Apply to Volunteer.
Please note that we are no longer recruiting for the IAPS manager position for 2010-11 period.
Volunteer in Melbourne
Our fundraising and co-ordination activities are based in Melbourne, Australia. We need volunteers who are based in Melbourne (or who can work remotely, if appropriate) to assist in a range of activities. As well as the ongoing activities below, we also need casual helpers who can assist with fundraising events and one-off tasks.
* IT Architects / Engineers to help with any of the following
o Advise on setting up a simple network and infrastructure at IAPS
o Guidance on desktop hardware and standard operating environment
o Remote support for IAPS computer systems
o Documentation and troubleshooting information for staff in Mae Sot
* Website maintenance, including content editing and intranet administration (Google Apps)
* Volunteer Manager to help ensure that volunteers get the support and resources they need. Can you help us with recruitment, orientation or volunteer management?
* Curriculum Advisor to assist with developing module outlines and guidance for volunteer teachers and to source teaching materials.
* Grant Submissions Writer to seek out grant opportunities, create and submit grant applications
* Events Co-ordinator to plan and run fundraising events
* Accountant to assist with bookkeeping, setting budgets, financial reporting, and financial planning
If you're interested in helping out, either as a committed volunteer or as a casual helper, please fill out the Prospective Volunteer Information form, even if you are't sure exactly which role would be the right fit for you. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact us: email@example.com
Have you booked with The Build Project? Please share your experience and submit your review.