10 Great Places to Eat on Isla Mujeres
Stay connected in Isla Mujeres, Mexico with great food and speedy wifi, our featured travel writer Katie Miltion gives us her top travel tips for the spectacular Isla Mujeres. The demographics of modern travelers are changing and staying connected while on the road is becoming more of a necessity than a luxury. Whether you need to check in with the home office to over see that big project or you just want to upload your latest beach photos to Instagram, these Isla Mujeres restaurants not only serve up WiFi but some tasty vittles as well!
Downtown Ocean View
1. Fenix Lounge: located on the easternmost side of the infamous North Beach immediately across the bridge from the Avalon Reef Hotel, Fenix, has uber comfy bed loungers on the beach and shaded tables inside the restaurant. The strongest signals will be inside the restaurant.
2. Cafe Del Mar: Located on the westernmost side of North Beach, Cafe Del Mar, is actually part of the Aluxes hotel. Massage vendors are located just south of their comfy bed loungers and overstuffed cushions adorn wicker furniture in the shade near the bar.
3. Bally Hoo: Located on the pier behind the Pemex gas station downtown, Bally Hoo serves up a mean margarita and to-die-for fish tacos! This is a very popular and busy spot during sunset.
Downtown Urban Vibe
1. Mogagua: On the corner of Benito Juarez and Ave Madero, Mogagua, is a comfy little coffee shop with beer and wine on the menu. It is great for people watching. It can be noisy at times so it is probably not the best spot for a skype call.
2. Rolandis: located a couple blocks north of the main square on Hidalgo Street, Rolandis is well known for their slightly upscale atmosphere and Italian food. The courtyard dining room is quite charming.
3. Que Qubano: located on the northern end of Hidalgo Street is a little Cuban restaurant that is well known for their Toston sandwiches. Vivian, the owner is also a great source of Isla Mujeres info and recommendations.
Off the Beaten Path
1. Mango Cafe: Located about 2 miles south of downtown on the east side of the island across from the Guadalupe Church is Mango cafe which specializes in Caribbean-Mexican Fusion. They are well known for their breakfasts.
2. Chuuk Kay: located mid island on the Makax lagoon waterway, Chuuk Kay, has been described as “hard to find but worth the search”. A local band plays on weekend afternoons with a boisterous crowd otherwise it can be a serene spot to get some work done.
3. Zama’s Beach Club: located on the Sac Bajo Peninsula it is a beautiful day spot with full restaurant, bar, and comfy beach loungers. Zama has both pool and Cancun Bay Beach access.
4. Villa Vera Yacht Club/Puerto Isla Mujeres: located mid island on the Makax lagoon is Isla’s Yacht Club which is full of sports-fisherman during the high season (Dec-March). A small garden restaurant and pool area are open to the public.
By Katie Milton
- Mexico Travel Guide
- 3 Must Visit Beaches in Isla Mujeres
- What to Do for a Day in Isla Mujeres
- Scuba Diving Courses in Mexico
- Tours in Mexico
- Volunteer Work in Mexico
- Jobs in Mexico
- Gap Year Programs in Mexico