Teach English in Mexico
Mexico which is a really up and coming destination to work as a teacher and you can find paid positions in places like Cancun, Cuernavaca, Guadalajara, Mexico City, Monterrey, Oaxaca, Playa del Carmen, Puebla, Tulum. View our guide to getting TEFL certified in Mexico and search teaching jobs today.
TEFL Courses & Teaching Jobs in Mexico
Apply to Teach in Mexico
Thinking about teaching abroad? Mexico is one of our top recommended destinations and our guide should provide you with the information you need to get started. On our directory you can search recruiters who offer teaching jobs throughout the country. Working as an English teacher in Mexico is a really exciting experience, this is a great country to live and work. Hundreds of people apply every year and you can teach English in Mexico without a college / unviersity degree or experience.
Best Places to Teach English in Mexico
You can find English teaching jobs throughout the country and there is a large demand for native English speakers in places like:
- Cancun - one of the most popular tourist destinations in the country
- Mexico City, a huge city where a lot of language schools are located
- Playa del Carmen
- Isla Mujeres - a very beautiful and safe destination to teach. The crime rate is very low and a naval base, coast guard base and police station are located on the island.
TEFL employment is mainly found in large populations of people for example Oaxaca, Mexico City, Juarez and Monterrey. You could find teaching work in a large city like Mexico City or head to the spectacular East coast and teach English in Cancun or Playa del Carmen - both spectacular settings. For more options view our guide to teaching in Central America.
TEFL Courses in Mexico
One of the best ways to get a teaching job is to take a TEFL certification in Mexico. There are classroom TEFL courses available to book throughout the country where you will be trained by experienced staff and get to hands on tuition which is great if you have no previous experience.
These courses are an internationally recognized and accredited certification boosting your chances of getting a job teaching English in Mexico and worldwide. Most TEFL schools offer packages which include accommodation, training, a certification and they also organise excursions and activities.
TEFL companies usually have excellent links with recruiters and some offer guaranteed paid jobs on completion of a course.
Where to Seek Employment
A lot of English teaching jobs in Mexico can be found in schools, colleges, universities or located in language schools or by leading private lessons, this is usually to employees of large multinational companies who need to train their staff to understand and communicate in English.
Peak Hiring Times
Teaching jobs in Mexico can be found all year round, there is no popular or best time to find work. Sometimes you might be required to have an interview in person or over the phone. Start planning a trip to teach abroad in Mexico today with our website.
How to Find TEFL Jobs in Mexico
The best places to find TEFL jobs in Mexico is applying at English language schools where you can teach adults or giving private lessons to individuals, companies and business professionals.
- Typical Hiring Process: You will usually need to be interviewed in-person or via e-mail/skype/phone in advance
- Average Working Week: You can usually expect to teach around 20–25 hours of classroom classes per week + extra if you do private lessons.
- Salary: You can expect to be paid around £500 - £800 (US$800 - 1200 USD / 10,000 - 16,000 MXN).
- Cost of Living: You should be able to break even and also save money when teaching in Mexico. It really depends on where you are living and working to how much costs like rent and food are. You will usually need to pay for flights and accommodation as it is very rare to find an employer who will cover this for you.
- Help / Advice: If you need any help with jobs in Mexico please get in touch.
Mexico TEFL Reviews
If you have ever taught in Mexico and would like to write about your experience, review an agency or share any recommendations please contact us.
If you offer teaching courses or jobs in Mexico and would like to be featured here please contact us.