Lithuania Travel Guide, Gap Year Volunteering and Tours
Lithuania is one of the most up and coming travel destinations in Europe and it's central European location makes it very accessible for international visitors. You will get to see some of the prettiest locations in Europe, explore cities, see spectacular National Parks or head to the beautiful coast for great beaches. Get inspired to visit Lithuania today.
Lithuania Travel Ideas
Lithuania Travel Guide
Get inspiration for the best things to do if you would like to travel to Lithuania.
- Population: 2.91 million (approx)
- Capital: Vilnius
- Currency: Euro
Top Reasons to Visit Lithuania
- It is an easy country to get to
- Great value for money - one of the cheapest destinations to travel in Europe
- Up and coming country and off the beaten track compared to other overcrowded tourist destinations
- Explore cities or see beautiful countryside
- See some of the most scenic locations in the continent
Weather & Best Time to Visit
Summer (June to September) is the most popular time to visit for international visitors, please note the weather can be really hot so you will need to prepare for this by packing light clothing and taking sun protection. During winter Lithuania get really cold, usually in minus degrees and unless you are planning a short city break we do not recommend staying longer. Spring and Autumn are very pleasant times to visit the country as the weather is mild.
How to Get to Lithuania
You can access Lithuania by flying or crossing by road or rail. Most international flights arrive into Vilnius International Airport or Palanga Airport on the coast. Some budget airlines like Ryanair offer flights from Europe to Kaunas International Airport.
Travelling in Lithuania
Lithuania is a great country to visit for a short break or a longer backpacking / travel adventure. Most tourists visit the three major cities in Lithuania — Vilnius, Kaunas, and Klaipeda but there is a lot more to the country than this. Lithuania is almost 40% forested and we highy recommended planning a break to a National Park or the countryside where you will get to see scenic blue lakes and rivers, and local small towns. There are also lots of new boutique hotels, spas and also castles to see.
Lithuania Gap Year
Considering taking a gap year to Lithuania? View ideas and programs.
Best Places to Visit in Lithuania
Vilnius is our top rated destination, this is the capital of Lithuania and where most flights arrive into. This UNESCO-protected city has pretty cobbled squares and stunning baroque architecture. You will get to experience a vibrant art scene, old scenic churches in Vilnius Old Town and lots of cafes and bars.
Other places to consider adding to your Lithuania travel itinerary outside of Vilnius include:
- Curonian Spit and Klaipeda
- Hill of Crosses
- Aukštaitija National Park
- Kaunas, and Klaipeda
Amazing National Parks in Lithuania
There are five National Parks in Lithuania, all offer a chance to see the true natural beauty of the country:
- Aukštaitija National Park (Aukštaitijos nacionalinis parkas)
- Dzūkija National Park And Čepkeliai Nature Reserve (Dzūkijos nacionalinis parkas ir Čepkelių rezervatas)
- Samogitian National Park (Žemaitijos nacionalinis parkas)
- National park Of Curonian Spit (Kuršių Nerijos nacionalinis parkas)
- Trakai Historical National Park (Trakų istorinis nacionalinis parkas)
Lithuania Travel Tips
- Accommodation: There are cheap hotels, guest houses and hostels throughout the country. In the past few year lots of new more expensive stylish hotels have opened in Vilnius which is where accommodation is most expensive. Summer will be the busiest and also more expensive time of year to visit for accommodation so book in advance.
- Money: We recommend exchanging money in advance to get the best deals. You can also use ATM machines in Lithuania to withdraw Euros.
- Suggested Daily Budget: You can get by with around £25 per day but this is a general guide if you say somewhere cheap to stay and don't choose too many expensive activities/restraurants.
- Getting Around: You can use public transport to get around the country, this is very cheap and reliable. There are lots of day tours and excursions available, these can be booked once in the country. Not many international tour operators offer trips to Lithuania.
- Top Advice: Learn some local Lithuanian words and phrases - this will really help you travelling here as not many people speak English
- Health & Safety: Lithuania is a very safe destination to visit and the only likely crime you might encounter is petty theft in the large cities. Thousands of international tourists visit every year are trouble free. If you do encounter any issues you will need to call 112 to speak the emergency services.
View our Europe travel guide.
Guide to Volunteering in Lithuania
International charities are working with local communities and organisations in to reduce poverty and inequality, and to improve access to education, healthcare and sustainable livelihoods throughout Lithuania.
Some organisations offer fully funded volunteer programs, for those with a passion to make a difference and desire to experience another culture in its most authentic form. Apply today and you could be in ithuania, falling in love with another way of life.
Types of Projects Available
You will get to contribute on projects that focus on empowering:
- Disadvantaged members of society
- People living with disabilities
- People living with and affected by illness
- Nature and conservation
How to Apply
You can search projects on our directory and make an online application.
Lithuania Volunteer Reviews
Have you ever been to volunteer in Lithuania? Would you like to share your experience or review a project or organisation? Get in touch with your testimonial today.