Lesotho Travel Guide, Gap Year Volunteering and Tours
Lesotho is a landlocked country nicknamed 'the Kingdom in the sky' - this is a very peaceful country to visit, and definately one of the adventure traveler seeking a new experience as this country gets a lot less visitors compared to South Africa for example. Local people are very friendly and the country is spectacular.
Activities, Travel Packages, Gap Years & Eco Holidays in Lesotho
Plan your trip with our rewarding travel ideas, eco holidays, gap year programs in Lesotho.
Lesotho Destination Guide
- Capital: Maseru
- Currency: Lesotho loti
- Population: 2,000,000 million
- Official languages: Southern Sotho, English
Top Reasons to Visit Lesotho
- Less tourist numbers than nearby destinations like South Africa
- Lesotho has unique scenery with mountains and rolling hills with remote villages and stunning views
- Throughout the year there are lots of activities like horse riding and wildlife safaris available to book
- Extremely very friendly people
Best Things to See in Lesotho
Lesotho is a tiny country in comparision with others in Africa but there are still lots of interesting things you might like to check out. Here are some of our recommendations:
- Kome Cave Dwellings
- Dinosaur Footprints
- Major Bell’s Tower and fort
- Sehlabathebe National Park
- Tse’hlanyane National Park
- Katse Dam and Botanical Gardens
- Sani Pass and the Highest pub in Africa
- Maletsunyane / Semonkong Falls
View our Africa budget travel guide.
Guide to Volunteering in Lesotho
Large international companies like Habitat for Humanity, Peace Corps and the UN have been working on the ground to improve education, facilities and living conditions. We work with UK based charities which offer placements throughout the country, view our guide to working as a volunteer in Lesotho and apply today. You might also like to apply to volunteer in South Africa. Ask anyone who has been to Lesotho and they will be full of praise - so discover it for yourself, view our featured volunteer programs in Lesotho today.
Top Reasons to Volunteer in Lesotho
- This country is very poor and needs lots of assistance
- Get the most rewarding experience of your life
- Volunteers are desperately needed especially if you have any specific skills
- The country has spectcaular scenery and very friendly/welcoming people
- See spectacular places in your spare time
- Guaranteed an authentic African experience
Types of Programs
Most programs have a focus on community development, HIV and AIDS is a big problem in Lesotho and people are needed to join education and awareness programs. There might be a difficult language barrier but local people will be very open to talking to you. Projects can be very hands on where you will spend days working with people and communities. If you are looking to plan a gap year in Africa and considering Lesotho as a destination then expect placements to be challenging and varied, this experience will be with you forever! Expect the local population to be very friendly and welcoming, please note no previous experience is needed to join for non-skilled placements and there are also sightseeing excursions available during your free time.
Cost & How to Apply
You can search our featured placements above and apply today. Most placements are structured and you will get a full package which include:
- Meeting on arrival at the airport by a representative
- Transfer from airport to volunteer accommodation
- Accommodation - shared dormitory room in volunteer house
- Training: In-country orientation
- Support: Pre-departure helpdesk, Local in-country team and 24hr emergency support
- Local Transport
You will usually need to pay for:
Health & Safety
This is a very basic country in terms of facilities and you will need to pack a first aid kit and get informed before departing. The sun and heat can be intense so pack light clothing and be sure to wear sunscreen.