Jobs and Internships in South Africa
Looking to visit South Africa and be more than just a tourist? Apply to work! We have a selection of paid working holiday jobs which are available to apply for all year round. Through our website you can also apply for paid gap year jobs in South Africa. View our features jobs and recruiters in South Africa and apply today.
Jobs in South Africa
Guide to Working in South Africa
So you are thinking about applying for jobs in South Africa? Good decision. This country is amazing and will take your breath away. Search recruiters and find your perfect position today. Not many people know you can find paid employment in Africa but you will miss out if you don't research options and consider this destination. With friendly locals, internationals companies and lots of flexible positons for both backpackers and professionals, you will be sure to find a position to match your needs.
Where to Seek Exployment
You can find positions throughout the country but top rated destinations for foreigners to live and work include:
- Cape Town
- Port Elizabeth
Usually it is easier to find employment in the larger towns and cities, especially those with more tourists.
Popular Jobs for Internationals
If you are wondering how to find paid jobs in South Africa there are positions in most industries from working in hostels and hotels, to tourism, hospitality, scuba diving and business.
If you are looking for an incredible experience consider working as a horse riding instructor leading tours and trips on the Wild Coast. If you have a passion for horses or would like to work in an equine environment you can apply for paid work with a company like Wild Coast Horse Trails. They cater for all levels of horse riders who want an extended horse riding experience where you can live your childhood dream eating, sleeping, breathing and riding horses for a month or two. Wild Coast Horse Trails are South Africa’s leading gap year working horse riding holiday program, join the work experience program with horses, this is a hands on horse riding volunteering adventure & working holiday! Opportunities range from 1 to 12 weeks.
- Paid Internships in South Africa
- Volunteer for Free in South Africa
- Guide to Teaching English in South Africa
- Gap Year Programs in South Africa
Internships in South Africa for Foreigners
Beautiful beaches, amazing cities, world famous businesses... South Africa really in an incredible destination to apply to intern. Wether you are a student, graduate, thinking about taking a gap year in South Africa or just want to gain hands on experience in a new working environment, placements will really help you develop both personally and professionally. Where you are based really depends on the company or internship you are interested in. There are placements available in business, journalism, human rights, veterinary, radio, tv, farming, social work and counseling, sports, website development, graphic design, publishing and you can even train to become a pilot!
Popular Places to Intern
- Cape Town
- Limpopo Province
- Port Elizabeth
Types of Internships
You can find placements in most industries including:
- Graphic Design - in a small, friendly South African firm located in the beach resort of Knysna
- Hospitality - Learn about Hospitality in an up-market, boutique-style, 4 Star Guesthouse located in a beautiful location with stunning views and great facilities.
- Maintenance/Handyman/DIY - You'll assist Animal Rehabilitation Centres
- NGO / Marine Research / Conservation - This excellent internship is in a dense population of Great White Sharks.
- Veterinary - Cape Town, Knysna and Game Reserves in Limpopo Province
- Organic Farming - Gaining valuable experience on a working organic farm in the Gauteng Province
- PR and Events Management - Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre, excellent marketing assistance opportunities.
- Psychology, Counselling & Social Work - Counselling people with marital and family stress, depression, mid-life crisis, divorce counselling, HIV-related counselling, conflict management and parenting. In Knysna.
- Journalism - SA's leading newspaper (this popular internship requires early booking!)
- Radio Broadcasting - on a very new and long-awaited commercial radio station in Knysna
- Sports Work Experience - At a well-regarded Sports School in Knysna
Help / Advice
If you need any help arranging a placement please get in touch. You also might like to view all internships in Africa.
South Africa Internship Reviews
If you have ever joined an internship in South Africa and would like to write about your experience, review a company or share any recommendations please contact us.
"I loved Cape Town and my internship with Connect-123. It helped me grow as a person and a professional and tremendously clarified my future career path and choices." - Anita, Italy
"I was lucky enough to get an internship with African Impact as their research assistant and stayed for 3 months. The staff at AI are like a family and tthe work they do is incredible." - Roxy, Australia
If you offer internships in South Africa and would like to be featured here please contact us.