Volunteer in Morocco
Morocco is a very popular tourist destination buta lot of people do not know you can volunteer here. There are community, educational, healthcare and wildlife programs available to join in places like Marakesh, Essaouira and Agadir. Get inspired to apply today.
Volunteer Programs in Morocco
Apply to Volunteer in Morocco
If the idea of working in Morocco and being more than just a tourist appeals to you our guide will help you arrange a placement. There are different people, cities, landscapes and food to experience here and you can work with a charity, volunteer organisation or local NGO to help Moroccan communities and infrastructure. Living and working in Morocco offers a unique experience where you can experience life in a new culture and do something meaningful.
Some organisations give people the opportunity to leave their mark on the world through helping local people in Morocco. In turn, they are able to invest towards a social purpose, enabling projects and communities to evolve and develop. Some organisations are run as a social enterprise with a mission to inspire people to recognise their potential both at home, within their local community and in a wider, international context; empower them to achieve this and to evolve locally established projects and services to meet the needs of their communities.
Some organisations also offer combo experiences like road trips that combine travelling rural Morroco with adventure and cultural activities like surfing or yoga whilst volunteering at small, local community projects along the way. These trips enable volunteers to get involved in rural community life therefore leaving Morocco with a real sense of the country, culture and people. Each trip includes a variety of volunteer work at different projects including agricultural projects, education based and community development.
Top Reasons to Volunteer in Morocco
- This country is unlike many places in the world
- The culture and people are unique - you will learn a lot from working here
- Morocco attacts volunteer workers from all over the world - this is a great cultural experience
- There is lots to do in your spare time
- You might like to mix the experience and sign up for Arabic and French language classes.
Location of Projects
Volunteer programs are located throughout the country in built up cities to rural areas:
- Marrakesh - The most famous destination for any break in Morocco, you can explore the souks, buy some goods or relax in one of the cafes - volunteering in Marrakesh is one of the most popular destinations
- Fes - An underrated place and the third biggest city in Morocco
- Meknes - A pleasant city in the North of the country
- Chefchaouen - A really scenic place with a relaxed atmosphere
- Essaouira - Located on the Atlantic coast this small destination which looks very French (it was designed by a Frenchman)
- Merzouga - Experience a rural location very close to the spectacular Sahara desert, the sky at night is amazingly clear
- Rabat - A popular location with lots of internationals, a lot of people can converse in English here
- Nomad Projects - You could work in places like the spectacular Atlas Mountains
Some placements can be rustic and so if you are used to your home comforts and want a more Western experience you might want to go a little further North and volunteer in Spain.
How You Can Help
Community Development Volunteer Programs in Morocco
Around 15% of the population of Morocco live in poverty and rural communities are often the ones most in need and often don't get access to heatlhcare. There are placements for nurses, doctors and general assistants where you can work alongside local staff in outreach teams and clinics. Tasks can include helping with check ups and offering general assistance to patients. You could also work by helping train new staff or going into communities and schools and informing people about nutrition and healthy foods to eat. There is also a need for people to help promote conservation, recycling and sustainable living programs.
Womens Rights Programs in Morocco
Morocco is a very tradition country, and like many places in Africa women are often seen as second class behind men. Women are often put of the fringes of society and there is a need to fill the gender divide and help women into education and employment. Over the past decade a lot of work has been done by charities and international organisations to help teach women new skills and offer an opportunity to do more with their lives. You can help train women with new skills - very rewarding.
- Accommodation: Volunteers usually stay in dorm-style house and shared apartments in the Medina within walking distance of the main square. There will be the use of a kitchen.
- Working Hours: This can depend on which project you join but usually you will work for around 5 hours per day and get two days off per week. You will need to be adaptable and flexible as no two days can be the same.
- Eligibility: Most organisations will require you to be aged 18 and over. Sometimes you might be working in hot and humid conditions so be prepared for this and pack light. Most volunteers arrive from the UK, USA, France and Spain but all Nationalities are welcome to apply. If you are from the UK or U.S.A. you will NOT need a get a visa before departing to volunteer in Morocco, on arrival you will be granted a tourist visa where you can stay for up to 90 days.
How to Apply
You will usually be required to stay for a minimum of 1 week and you can apply all year round. There is no best time to apply but booking easy is recommended especially if you would like to join during summer. The price can depend on the program you select, most options come part of a package which includes placements, in-country support with an English speaking coordinator, airport pick-up/transfers, housing and meals. If you need any help arranging a volunteer placement in Morocco please get in touch. You might also like to search our Africa volunteering programs.
Volunteer in Morocco for Free
If can be difficult to find free volunteer opportunities in Morocco because even small NGO's and charities will ask for a donation, or for you to cover the price of your accommodation and food. If you want to save money try to eat local food and avoid places set up for tourists, you will get food and drink for a fraction of the price if you go a little off the main squares too. Alcohol can be expensive and always try to barter for goods, this will be a challenge!
Morocco Volunteer Reviews
If you have ever volunteered in Morocco and would like to review an organisation/project, share your experience or give any advice for future participants write an article for us.
"I went to volunteer in Marakech with my sister for one week. We applied with Original Volunteers and learnt so much. Local people were very friendly and the projects were eye opening." - Justine, UK