Seychelles Travel Guide, Gap Year Volunteering and Tours
The Seychelles is a small island nation located off the East Coast of Africa, around 1,000 miles from Kenya. This is one of the most beautiful islands you can visit in the world with incredible beaches, friendly locals, tasty food and good tourism infrastructure. View our authentic travel experiences, gap year programs and holidays in the Seychelles where you can do more than just sunbathing.
Seychelles Travel Ideas, Gap Year Programs & Holidays
Seychelles Travel Guide
View essential travel information, tips, ideas and inspiration for visiting the Seychelles.
- Capital: Victoria
- Official languages: French, English & Seychellois Creole
- Population: 90,000 (approx)
- Currency: Seychellois rupee (SCR)
- Calling code: +248
Top Reasons to Visit the Seychelles
- A true paradise
- Spectacular scenery
- Beautiful islands and white sandy beaches
- Unspoiled nature
- Explore UNESCO-listed nature reserves
- Lots of land and water sports
- Luxury resorts
How to Get to the Seychelles
There are daily international flights which arrive into Seychelles International Airport which is situated on the island of Mahé. The airport is a short distance to the capital city of Victoria. As the Seychelles is a popular tourist destination lots of international airline carriers provide flights from Europe, Africa and the Middle East. Prices can be expensive so book in advance to get the best deals.
Best Places to See in the Seychelles
There are lots of tourist sights and places you should try to add to your Seychelles itinerary including:
- Anse Intendance
- Anse Lazio
- Anse Volbert
- Aride Island Nature Reserve
- Baie Lazare
- Beau Vallon
- Bird Island
- Cousin Island
- Curieuse Island
- La Digue Island
- Morne Seychellois National Park
- Silhouette Island
- Ste Anne National Marine Park
- Vallée de Mai National Park
View our Africa travel guide.
How You Can Help
Most programs have a focus on:
Some organisations can also help you to gain a padi scuba diving certification.
Location of Projects
Programs are located throughout the country in places like:
- La Digue
A lot of environmental and conservation projects are in National Marine Parks and you will live close to the beach in coastal areas like Cap Ternay.
- Monitor sharks, whales and marine life
- Coral reef monitoring and recovery research
- Whale shark migration observations
- Invertebrate fish surveys
- Sea turtle nesting surveys
- Helping local communities to get involved with conservation efforts
- Produce awareness campaigns
- Contribute to environmental research and education
How to Apply
Search organisations offering volunteering programs in the Seychelles on our directory and arrange a placement today.
Seychelles Volunteer Reviews
If you have ever been to work in the Seychelles and would like to share your experience please contact us.