Germany Travel, Backpacking & Gap Year Guide
Germany is now one of the most popular destinations in Europe with millions of people visiting annually. Get information, advice and inspiration for the best things to do if you would like to travel, go backpacking or take a gap year in Germany.
Germany Travel Ideas, Backpacking Trips & Gap Year Programs
Travel to Germany
In 1990 Germany become one united country after being separated for 50 decades. This is a country steeped in history and by visiting you will get to learn more about the local culture, discover incredible cities like Berlin and Munich and take part in world famous events.
Our Germany destination guide aims to give you all the information you need to have an amazing experience in this amazing country. Find affordable travel and backpacking ideas with advice for amazing things to do and how you can be more than just your average traveller. You can also get recommendations for places to stay and how visit Germany on a budget.
Get inspired to visit Germany today!
- Population: 82,000,000 (approx)
- Capital: Berlin
- Currency: Euro
- Local Language: German
- International Country Code +49
Top Reasons to Visit Germany
Need some convincing Germany should be your next destination?
- One of the most affordable destinations to visit in Europe
- It is located in Central Europe and getting here is easy
- A founding member of the European Union and a stable democracy
- Meet very friendly local people - you might to practise your German
- Experience world famous festivals like Oktoberfest in Munich
- Discover amazing cities like Berlin, Munich, Hamburg, Frankfurt, Dresden and Bremen
How to Get to Germany
Germany's central location makes it one of the easiest countries to visit in Europe.
Airlines that fly direct from United Kingdom to Germany:
- bmi, British Airways, easyJet, eurowings, Flybe, Jet2, Lufthansa and Ryanair.
Other airlines flying to Germany from international destinations include:
- Adria, Aegean Airlines, Aer Lingus, Air Europa, Air France, Air Serbia, airBaltic, Alitalia, Austrian Airlines, Blue Air, Brussels Airlines, Czech Airlines, Finnair, Germania, Iberia, KLM, LOT, Luxair, Norwegian, Norwegian Air, SAS, SkyWork, Smart Wings, SWISS, TAP Air Portugal, Turkish Airlines, VLM, Vueling & Wideroe.
To get the best deals on flights to Germany we recommend booking in advance and also travel out of the busy summer season (June to September). Search flights on Skyscanner which is the best comparison website.
Other Transport Options
You can arrive by air, rail or bus/car.
Weather & Best Time to Visit Germany
German summers are hot and the winters are cold and snowy, but rains are unpredictable and common during all seasons. The average winter temperature is 3°C and in summers it is 22°C. Maximum temperatures commonly reach -10°C in winter and 35°C in the summer months. The country is divided into 16 states and has an exceedingly varied landscape, so it is difficult to generalise the weather for the whole country.
There are lots of options when it comes to places to stay in Germany including hotels, hostels, apartments and AirBnB.
Germany is a cheap country by European standards, well comapred to nearby France and Swtizerland. A dorm bed costs around £5-£20 ($10-$25) although in more popular destinations you could pay more. You can stay in a private room in a guesthouse or a hotel for around £20 - £50 ($30 - $60) per night. Prices in Berlin and Munich are usually higher than other areas of the country.
Travelling & Backpacking in Germany
Here are some of the best things to do in Germany:
- Explore Berlin and learn more about the history of this facsinating city
- Go in search of the best castle
- Watch a live football game - one of the local passions
- Explore the parks and canals of Hamburg
- Enjoy the atmosphere of Oktoberfest and go sightseeing in Munich and Bavaria
- If you enjoy the great outdoors head to the Black Forest on the French border which has lots of walking and hiking trails
Germany Travel Tips
There are lots of ways to keep costs down and make your experence travelling in Germany more fun including:
Look at flights early, there are lots of cheap airlines like Ryanair who do cheap flights meaning traveling and seeing the sights is easy. To Germany a month in advance it can cost as little as £25 but closer to the date the more expensive it will be. You could also travel by train/bus.
Transport & Getting Around:
Book trains in advance as this will save you a lot of money compared to buying on the day.
Food & Eating Out:
Eat at local street vendors, you can but tasty sausages for a couple of euros compared to eating at cafes and restaurants everyday.
Buy a phrase book as knowing basic will really help you to get around.
What to Pack:
Take weather appropriate clothes. January in Germany is freezing! However from April the weather will go up to 25 degrees some days and you don't want to only have jumpers and jeans in the heat.
If you plan on seeing the world famous Oktoberfest book months in advance to avoid accommodation and packages being full.
Gap Year in Germany
Would you like to spend your gap year in Germany? Need ideas or advice for what to do? Search trips and programs with One World 365 today.
Traveling has enormous informative, educative and social value that broadens people’s mental horizon and ameliorates health. It gives thrill and easiness to life. Don’t take life for granted, enjoy your life with full pleasure and side by side maintain your daily work schedule along with your family in balanced way. Life is not going to give you second chance, so why to spend it with tension and keeping your desire aside. Explore your own way and give a perfecting meaning to your gap year in Germany by booking an experience through our website.
There are lots of options and what you do really comes down to personal choice, you could boost your CV, improve your language skills, work, help communities or just book a tour to see the highlights. Germany also offers great value for money in terms of sightseeing, food, accommodation and going out. There are also so many different places you should try to consider adding to your itinerary like Munich and Berlin which is one of the best places for start ups in the world