Ecuador Travel & Tours
Despite being one of South America’s smallest countries, Ecuador is rich is natural diversity and there are so many amazing travel opportunities. We have a selection of authentic experiences, wildlife holidays and travel ideas from leading local and international travel operators.
Ecuador Travel Ideas, Gap Year Programs & Experiences
Get inspiration for the best things to do if you would like to go travelling, backpacking or take a gap year in Ecuador.
Ecuador Travel Guide
Get information, tips, itineraries and inspiration for visiting on our guide to travelling in Ecuador.
- Capital: Quito (Population: 2,000,000 approx)
- Currency: US Dollar
- Area: 280,000 sq km (approx)
- Population: 30,000,000 (approx)
- Language: Spanish + local languages
- International Calling Code +593
- Ecuador Time Zone: Standard time zone: UTC/GMT -5 hours
- Electrical Standards: Ecuador's electrical current is 120/60 (volts/hz) Type A and Type B Electrical Outlet (same as North America)
- Transport: Ecuador has a good public transport system, you can travel by bus, plane and recently a new rail network have been built linking the country
- Tourist Visa: Most nationalities can get a tourist visa on arrival
Top Reasons to Travel to Ecuador
- Venture to the spectacular Galapagos
- See the incredible Amazon rainforest
- Good transportation makes it easier to see other countries in South America
- Trasty local cuisine
- Great value on sightseeing activities
- Mix with friendly locals and practise your Spanish
Weather & Best Time to Visit
Ecuador’s climate varies with its regions. This country has an altitude of about 7550 ft (2300 m) above sea level and because of this, the temperature is comfortable, and does not get too hot. The climate is mild, often warm and dry, with an 18°C average temperature during day and 11°C at night although the weather is very unpredictable even during the summer period.
Passport & Visa Requirements
All tourists need a valid passport and an entry form-tourist card which is provided by your air carrier. This will be available at either the ticket counter when checking in for your flight to Ecuador or once on-board. Citizens of Canada, UK and USA do not need to obtain a visa for stays up to 90 days. If you are of a different nationality, please check with Lead Adventures staff and your local Ecuadorian Embassy. For stays longer than 90 days, you must obtain a 6-month Tourist visa (12-IX) at your local Ecuadorian Embassy. Lead Adventures will provide you with more information about visas and immigration if needed.
Currency, Money & Budget
The currency of Ecuador is the United States dollar, accepted as the national currency of Ecuador in January 2000. The money that is circulated includes notes and coins. Notes are of the denominations of US$100, 50, 20, 10, 5, 2 and 1 while the coins are in denominations of US$1 and 50, 25, 10, 5 and 1 cent. Please note that most shops and restaurants will not accept bills over $20, so it is worth having small currency denominations on you. ATMs are also available in almost all parts of the country. Credit cards, mainly Visa and MasterCard, are also accepted in Ecuador. Additionally, you may use traveler's checks; in Quito there are traveler check exchange bureaus that are easily accessible.
Best Places to Visit in Ecuador
- Seeing the spectacular Amazon region which is diverse in nature and wildlife
- Exploring Quito and getting pictures in the Old Town district which has lots of stunning colonial archtecture
- Visiting the Galapagos Islands which is one of the best destinations on the planet for nature
- Travelling the legendary Quilotoa Loop, a backpacker route of epic proportions
- Visit the Cloud Forest and Rainforest in Maquipucuna
- Salinas is a little of the tourist trail but has really nice beaches and a great atmosphere
- Ecuador has lots of National Parks, we recommend visiting Parque Nacional Cotopaxi
- Going to the Cuyabeno Wildlife Reserve, this is possibly the best place to see the Amazon
- The beaches around Bahia de Caraquez in the North of Ecuador are beautiful
Top Cities to Visit
- Quito is one of the most facsinating cities to visit in the world, it is also the second highest behind Lima
- If you are looking to join an adventure tip Baños is a great city to visit, there is also an active volcanoe nearby
- Ambato is located in Central Ecuador around 3 hours from Quito, expect a big party during Carnival
- Loja has some really stunning colonial buildings
- If you would like to visit the Andes, Riobamba is in a simply spectacular region surrounded by mountains and hills
Travelling & Backpacking in Ecuador
Thousands of international backpackers travel in Ecuador every year and this can make the experience a lot more fun and easier. There is good infrastructure for foreign visitors and gettting to see the best places is easy. There are so many things to do and places you might want to visit including the colonial city of Cuenca or getting close to the sun at Volcán Chimborazo - the highest point in Ecuador. The capital Quito which is restled high in the Andes and is a facsinating city to explore, there is a vibrant mix of modern cityscape and Spanish colonial heritage.
Gap Year in Ecuador
Ecuador is one of the best countries you can visit in South America, expect wildlife, scenery, great value and also lots of different gap year travel programs available to join all year round. You could spend your gap year surrounded by exotic wildlife in the Amazon region, this is one of the most spectacular regions of the whole world. Some trips last a week but there are longer options available where you can explore and go island hopping off the coast. Spending time seeing giant tortoises, swimming with sea lions or going walking off the beaten track is a special experience.
Prices for 3 week programs can range anywhere from around $1000 to $2000 and includes free international travel insurance. If you are travelling in a group then for groups of 8 people, the ninth participant can travel for free and if you are booking early then get discounts, book four months in advance and receive 10% off the total cost. Some packages also includes a free Quito city tour and dinner on your first night. If you would like to see more of this region you might also like to view our Peru gap year page.
Health & Vaccinations
When traveling abroad it is important to seek advice on the potential hazards, understand how best to protect your health, and minimize the risk of harm and disease. Planning ahead and taking preventive measures will reduce the risk of accident and of acquiring disease. We are not qualified to assess individuals health, therefore we highly recommend that you seek the attention of a medical professional regarding specific vaccinations and medications.
Types of Tours in Ecuador
There are lots of places you can visit and departures all year round. You can find epic long overland journeys and also neiche hiking, walking and trekking trips, family and wildlife tours. We have a range of conservation based tours whare you can travel to places like the Amazon and experience the country travelling like a local. You will be surrounded by exotic species like rainforest monkeys, macaws and more on a tour in the Amazon.
You might also like to book a tour to visit the glaciated Andean volcanoes or travel through the Quilotoa Loop. Our tours are open to solo travellers, couples, groups and families where you will be able to travel like a local and get off the beaten track. You will need to book in advance to secure a spot especially during popular periods like summer. Your tour leader will guide you through the best the country has to offer, pointing out the best bargains, showing you the best restaurants and nightlife musts! By taking out all the hassles of planning the logistics, you’re given the time and freedom to just soak it all up and enjoy!
Top Reasons to Book
- Get an experienced guide
- See the best places
- Go off the beaten track to see locations difficult to reach
- Eat at the best local restaurants
- Enjoy a stress free journey
- Get an authentic local experience
Ecuador Tours for Solo Travellers
Our tours are perfect if you are travelling solo and would like to meet other people and travel in a group. You will get to meet other international travellers and get taken to the best locations in the country with an experienced guide.
Ecuador Budget Tours
We have a selection of tours for all budgets, so whether you are looking to explore on the cheap or you have a bit more money to spend you will be able to find a trip to match your interests. Our website features lots of cheap tours allowing you to discover the highlights of the country and not break the bank.
Ecuador Tours for 18 35's
Most of our tours specifically cater for the 18-35 age group and are a really popular option due to meeting other people, getting day-to-day activities, hotel check-ins, selected meals, accommodation and also transport/guides included in the price. Don't worry if you are slightly older, most tours accept all ages.
Ecuador Family Tours
Looking to explore with your family? Our website features specialist tours specifically for families. You will get a safe and structured authentic experience and also get lots of free time to enjoy the experience with your family.
Usually travellers of the same sex will share a twin room, but there is also the option to pay a little extra and get a private room. Accommodation can vary depending on the tour and location. Some tours also include homestays which allow for a facsinating cultural exchange.
Typical group sizes are around 10-18 travellers with an average of 12 but this can vary between the tour and operator.
All tours are run with personal bilingual guides and usually private transportation. Public buses are sometimes used for day trips and excursions.
How to Book
Search our featured trips above or contact us for specific advice.
If you have ever joined a tour and would like to review or share your experience please contact us.