Austria Travel Guide
If you are seeking to see stunning scenery and like being in the outdoors Austria will appeal to you. View our comprehensive Austria travel and backpacking guide with tips, ideas for the best things to see and do and information about itineraries, costs, how to save money, and more!
Activities & Things to Do in Austria
Travel to Austria
Our destination guide aims to give you all the information you need to have an amazing experience in this amazing country. Find affordable travel and backpacking ideas with advice for amazing things to do and how you can be more than just your average traveller. You can also get recommendations for budget travel tips, where to stay and advice how to stay safe.
Get inspired to visit Austria today!
- Capital: Vienna
- Currency: Euro (€)
- Size: 83,870 km2
- Population: 8,404,000 (approx)
- Language: German (official) - Local people are very friendly especially if you learn some basic local words and phrases.
- International Dailing Code +43
- Tourist Visa: If you are from either the EU or US you can enter Austria without needing to get a visa in advance.
- How to Get to Austria: You can get to Austria by rail and bus from other countries in Europe or by air as Vienna has connections to worldwide destinations.
Top Reasons to Visit Austria
- Great transport connections
- History and culture
- Beautiful scenery
- Good value destination
- Amazing sports available to participate during summer and winter
Weather & Best Time to Visit
Austria is a year round destination but it really depends on your interests as to which time of the year you visit. Winter is a popular time due to the amount of winter sports available like skiing but there are also options all year round. During summer (June to September) you will be able to experience the true nature of the country and it is also more pleasant when sightseeing.
Best Places to Visit in Austria
Austria might look small on a map but there are so many unique and different places to see, these are places we recommend adding to your Austria travel itinerary:
- Bad Gastein
- St Anton am Arlberg
- Zell am See
Travelling & Backpacking in Austria
Austria appeals for so many places to see and things to keep you busy. Top recommendations include exploring Vienna, going skiing or snowboarding and seeing the Alps. To anyone that’s never been before, keen for adventure and willing to take on a challenge and swap the beaches for the beautiful mountains, you’ll love Austria!
Transport & Getting Around
Getting around Austria is very easy, there is a modern transport system connecting the whole country. You might want to go skiing, explore the Alps or go in search of history and tradition by exploring cities, villages and towns.