Argentina Travel, Backpacking & Gap Year Guide
Argentina is the second largest country in South America and a must visit destination. With bustling cities, spectacular waterfalls and stunning nature, you will fall in love with this country and the culture. Get information, tips, advice and ideas for things to do if you would like to travel, go backpacking or take a gap year in Argentina.
Argentina Travel Ideas, Backpacking Trips & Gap Year Programs
Travel to Argentina
Book a trip to Argentina with One World 365 and search our amazing activities and trips. View travel advice including tips for places to go, the best packages available and get information about costs, accommodation, transport and health and safety.
- Population: 42,000,000 (approx)
- Capital: Buenos Aires
- Largest City in Argentina: Buenos Aires
- Currency: Peso (ARS) £1 = 8ARS / $1 = 5ARS
- International Calling Code +54
- Area: 2,750,000 km
- Language: Spanish
- Visa: You can gain a 90 day tourist visa on arrival for most passport holders
Top Reasons to Visit Argentina
There are so many reasons why you might want to visit Argentina including:
- Discover a vibrant culture and see incredible places
- See some of the most amazing scenery in the world
- Explore world famous cities
- Get great value on sightseeing activities
Weather & Best Time to Visit
Expect it to be cold during winter and hot / humid during the summer period over December - February. There is no best time to visit, Argentina is a year round destination.
How to Get to Argentina
The quickest and easiest way to get to Argentina from worldwide locations is by flying. If you are already in South America you can also cross overland from Brazil and Chile.
Airlines that fly direct to Argentina from the United Kingdom include British Airways and Norwegian Air. Other airlines that fly to Argentina from international destinations include: Air Europa, Air New Zealand, Air France, American Airlines, Qatar Airways, Air Canada, Iberia, Turkish Airlines, Aerolineas Argentinas, KLM, United, Ethiopian Airlines, Emirates, Delta, Avianca, LATAM, Alitalia, Aeromexico , Lufthansa and Vueling.
Flights can be expensive so you will need to book in advance to get the best deals. Throughout the year there are usually special offers on flights available and most international flights arrive into the cosmopolitan city of Buenos Aires.
Travelling & Backpacking in Argentina
Would you like to go travelling or backpacking in Argentina? On One World 365 you can find lots of exciting and also cheap travel opportunities throughout the country. We list itineraries and experiences which will ignite your wanderlust. If you would like to do more than just sunbathing our unique and inspiring travel packages will appeal to you.
Buenos Aires is one of the greatest cities to experience with a vibrant atmosphere and lots to see and do but there is a lot more to the country than just this city. From exploring Mendoza to going to see specuar Patagonia, you will be left spellbound. Places you should add to your intinerary include Buenos Airies, Mendoza, Cordoba, El Calafate, the Perito Moreno Glacier, Patagonia and the incredible Foz do Iguassu Falls which is our top recommendation.
There is a reliable cheap transport system operating in Argentina making it fairly easy to travel by bus, train, plane or car. Argentina is generally a safe country to visit and problems for internationals are rare. You will need to pay more attention in the large cities like Buenos Aires especially at night. This country has suffered from economical trouble in the past decade but you are unlikely to experience any problems when visiting.
Best Places to Visit in Argentina
There are so many amazing experiences available, these are some of the highlights:
- Getting up close and wet at the Iguazú Falls, possibly the most impressive waterfalls in the world
- Exploring Buenos Aires, learning to tango or taking in a live football game
- Drinking wine and wondering around Mendoza which is spectacular
- Going South and visiting Patagonia for wilderness and wildlife, visit the Patagonia El Chalten trek or visit the Porito Moreno glacier
- Taking part in adventure sports in the Lake District, winter and summer options available
- For nature head to the Nahuel Huapi National Park which is located close of the spectacular Andes
- If you are looking to get off the beaten track visit Ushuaia which is the most Southern located city on the globe
- If you enjoy drinking wine you will love San Juan
- Seeing ancient dinosaur fossils and spectacular rocks in the Parque Provincial Ischigualasto
- If you have a passion for dance you might like to join tango dance course - this is an amazing opportunity to learn how to tango with one on one and group classes! Argentina is famous for dancing and this can be a really fun experience getting taught by locals
Gap Year in Argentina
Argentina is one of the most popular South America gap year destinations with a wide range of opportunities and things to see and do. On our directory you can search amazing gap year programs in Argentina for students, non-students, budget backpackers and career breakers.
In Buenos Aires you can experience a diverse city with tango, colourful building and lots of sightseeing activities. To experience one of the local passions try to see a live football game, you can find teams throughout this football mad country. You might want to explore the stunning Lake District whilst no trip is complete without visiting the spectacular Iguazu Falls on the Brazilian border.