Teach English in Costa Rica
Interested in teaching in a beautiful country? Apply to become a language teacher in Costa Rica. Hundreds of people apply every year and it is easy to see why - Costa Rica has spectacular beaches, modern cities and friendly local people.
TEFL Courses & Teaching Jobs in Costa Rica
A Guide to Teaching in Costa Rica
Costa Rica is one of the most popular countries to teach English in Central America and there are so many reasons why you might want to apply.
Tourism in Costa Rica has boomed in the last decade and this industry is a big employer. This is one of the reasons why local people are keen to learn and improve their English skills as it enhances job prospects. You can also find local companies and charities working to help people out of poverty, improve their skills and help them into a better future and they need English speaking participants to help throughout the year.
There are also educational volunteer programs in Costa Rica where you can help disadvantaged communities and children to improve and practise their English language skills. Tasks can include leading lessons, creating games, setting up workshops and offering general interaction. Placements can be found in schools, community centres or giving private lessons.
TEFL Courses in Costa Rica
One of the best ways to get a teaching job is to take a TEFL certification in Costa Rica. There are classroom TEFL courses available to book throughout the country where you will be trained by experienced staff and get to hands on tuition which is great if you have no previous experience.
These courses are an internationally recognized and accredited certification boosting your chances of getting a job teaching English in Costa Rica and worldwide. Most TEFL schools offer packages which include accommodation, training, a certification and they also organise excursions and activities.
TEFL companies usually have excellent links with recruiters and some offer guaranteed paid jobs on completion of a course.
How to Teach in Costa Rica
- Location of Teaching Jobs: There are teaching jobs throughout the country in places like San Jose.
- Requirements: A degree is not required but you will need a TEFL or TESOL certification is required. If you have both a degree and qualification you will increase your chances of gaining employment. View our TEFL courses in Costa Rica to get certified. You do not need to be an experienced teacher to apply for most positions, full training will be provided on arrival.
- Best Time to Get Employment: Peak hiring times include: January–February; June–July
- How to Get a Teaching Job in Costa Rica: English language schools and academies to business professionals are your best ways to get paid TEFL employment in Costa Rica.
- Hiring Process: Usually you will need to apply either online or in-country and have an interview. The process is usually very quick.
- Average Working Week: Most international teachers work around 20–30 hours per week in the classroom and you will have to allow extra time for preparation or if you private lessons.
- Cost of Living: Costa Rica is an expensive country to be based compared to other destinations in Central America. You can expect to have outgoings of around £350 - £600 (US $500 - 800) / (350,000 - 450,000 CRC) per month.
- Salary: Wages really depend on the employer, monthly you can expect to make around £300 - £600 (US$600 - 800) (340,000 - 450,000 CRC). Most employers will require you to pay for flights and accommodation.
How to Apply
Search positions and recruiters on our directory. If you need any help arranging a teaching job or have any questions about going to work in Costa Rica please get in touch.
Costa Rica TEFL Reviews & Testimonials
If you have ever taught in Costa Rica and would like to write about your experience, review an organisation or share any recommendations please contact us,
"I taught English in Costa Rica for four months and had one of the best times of my life." - Alice, UK
If you offer teaching courses or positions in Costa Rica and would like to be featured here please contact us.