Scuba Diving in South Africa
South Africa is an incredible diving destination and one of the top reasons to dive here is to see the amazing Great White Sharks. There are dive centres located throughout South Africa who can take you to see some of the best dive sites in the country which include Aliwal Shoal, False Bay, Gansbaai & Dyer Island and Protea Banks. If you are looking for the thrill of your life then you might want to book a dive with great white sharks!
Scuba Diving Courses & Packages in South Africa
Book a Diving Course in South Africa
South Africa is an incredible destination but why not make your experience a whole lot more memorable by booking a dive package here. This country is one of the best places to go scuba diving in Africa and there are options all year round. If you would like to combine experiences you could volunteer in South Africa - some organisations offer combo dive+conservation holidays which are very fun and rewarding.
Some of the scuba diving centers we have listed in South Africa have years of experience training new divers. Most are also endorsed by PADI, the world's largest diver training organization.
Best Dive Sites in South Africa
You can go diving in the Atlantic Ocean, Indian Ocean and Southern Coast. There are so many amazing diving locations off the coast of South Africa, here are some of our top recommendations:
- Protea Banks
- Sodwana bay
- Aliwal Shoal
9 Mile Reef
Quarter Mile Reef
2 Mile Reef
5 Mile Reef
The Produce Wreck
North Sands and Inside Edge
Best Time to Go Diving in South Africa
- The best time to go scuba diving on the Atlantic coast is between October and February when the water is warmer due to summer.
- If you would like to see sharks we recommend going diving from May to August.
- From October to December you can experience the "Chokka" squid run between Cape Town and Port Elizabeth. From May to July there is an annual sardine migration of the South African pilchard (Sardinops sagax) from the the west towards Aliwal Shoal and Durban. During these period a selection of predators arrive to feast including sharks, dolphins, rays, octopuses and seals
Dive with Great White Sharks in South Africa
South Africa is one of the best places in the world to dive with Great White sharks. This is where cage diving with these creatures originated and now several tour operators run excursions. Popular places to dive with Great Whites in South Africa include False Bay, Gansbaai and Mossel. Most dive centres are located in Cape Town and there are half and full day cage diving trips available.
You will learn a lot of about these amazing creatures and efforts being made to conserve them whilst also getting a thrilling close up encounter in the safety of a cage. Half day, full day and also longer trips are available. Prices for half-day trips start from around US$200 and longer excursions can be up to US$2,500 for a week long excursion.
Prices usually include cage diving, accommodation, diving gear, transfers and meals.
- Apex Shark Expeditions - runs small trips with no more than 12 guests and a maximum of two people at a time in the cage (breathing through snorkels).
Ocean Conservation Volunteer Project, Plettenberg Bay, South Africa
- Plettenberg Bay, South Africa
- 2 weeks - 3 months / From: € 1250
If you need any help arranging a dive course in South Africa please get in touch,
South Africa Dive Reviews
If you have ever been diving in South Africa and would like to write about your experience, review a company or share any recommendations please contact us,
If you represent a dive centre in South Africa and would like to be featured here please contact us.