Internships in South Africa
South Africa is the perfect intern abroad destination, you can gain experience, learn new skills and experience an amazing country. Internships are available to join throughout the country in places like Cape Town, Durban, Port Elizabeth and Pretoria. Some companies offer paid internships whilst others help with accommodation, travel and living costs.
Internships in South Africa for Foreigners
Beautiful beaches, amazing cities, world famous businesses... South Africa really in an incredible destination to apply to intern. Wether you are a student, graduate, thinking about taking a gap year in South Africa or just want to gain hands on experience in a new working environment, placements will really help you develop both personally and professionally. Where you are based really depends on the company or internship you are interested in. There are placements available in business, journalism, human rights, veterinary, radio, tv, farming, social work and counseling, sports, website development, graphic design, publishing and you can even train to become a pilot!
Popular Places to Intern
- Cape Town
- Limpopo Province
- Port Elizabeth
Types of Internships
You can find placements in most industries including:
- Graphic Design - in a small, friendly South African firm located in the beach resort of Knysna
- Hospitality - Learn about Hospitality in an up-market, boutique-style, 4 Star Guesthouse located in a beautiful location with stunning views and great facilities.
- Maintenance/Handyman/DIY - You'll assist Animal Rehabilitation Centres
- NGO / Marine Research / Conservation - This excellent internship is in a dense population of Great White Sharks.
- Veterinary - Cape Town, Knysna and Game Reserves in Limpopo Province
- Organic Farming - Gaining valuable experience on a working organic farm in the Gauteng Province
- PR and Events Management - Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre, excellent marketing assistance opportunities.
- Psychology, Counselling & Social Work - Counselling people with marital and family stress, depression, mid-life crisis, divorce counselling, HIV-related counselling, conflict management and parenting. In Knysna.
- Journalism - SA's leading newspaper (this popular internship requires early booking!)
- Radio Broadcasting - on a very new and long-awaited commercial radio station in Knysna
- Sports Work Experience - At a well-regarded Sports School in Knysna
Help / Advice
If you need any help arranging a placement please get in touch. You also might like to view all internships in Africa.
South Africa Internship Reviews
If you have ever joined an internship in South Africa and would like to write about your experience, review a company or share any recommendations please contact us.
"I loved Cape Town and my internship with Connect-123. It helped me grow as a person and a professional and tremendously clarified my future career path and choices." - Anita, Italy
"I was lucky enough to get an internship with African Impact as their research assistant and stayed for 3 months. The staff at AI are like a family and tthe work they do is incredible." - Roxy, Australia
If you offer internships in South Africa and would like to be featured here please contact us.