Top Tips for Writing a Medical School Personal Statement
The medical school personal statement is your opportunity to stand out from the crowd and convince the admissions team that you will be an asset not only to the university but also as a future healthcare professional.There is no exact science to writing a good, eye catching personal statement but one thing we highly recommend is to get as much work experience as possible. Below we share our top tips for writing a successful personal statement with ideas and examples you might want to use.
Generally we recommend you apply a format similar to this:
- What are attracts you to studying medicine
- Specific medical work experience undertaken
- Your knowledge and research into a career in medicine
- Your personal attributes that make you right for a career in healthcare
- Personal achievements, hobbies and activities
- Aspects of the course that particularly interest you
The reason that medical work experience is so valuable is that it demonstrates a willingness to learn first hand what it takes to work as a doctor or a nurse and the amount you have undertaken and time spent gaining medical experience can speak volumes for your desire to study medicine. A medical school application needs to leap off the page and tick all the boxes.
By demonstrating that you have given up your time to gain relevant medical work experience you are showing your enthusiasm for the subject, that you know what the job entails, you have decided first hand that you want a career in medicine and you have seen different types of medicine being practiced first hand. Compare your different medical work experiences, what they taught you, why that’s important and how that will help you in your future career.
Remember that the personal statement is your first foot in the door to a career in medicine, so make sure your application is one to remember. Through our website you can search and book gap year medical electives which will really make your application stand out, search programs and see which volunteer destinations appeal to you. You can also contact us if you need any help with planning a medical career.
- Dental Placements Abroad
- HIV and AIDs Volunteer Programs
- Medicine Electives Abroad
- Midwifery Placements Abroad
- Nursing Volunteering Work Abroad
- Pharmacy Placements Abroad
- Phsiotherapy Placements Abroad
- Radiography Placements Abroad