Work in United States
Dream of living and working in the United States? There are short and long term positions available during summer and all year round a lot of which include accommodation. You could find yourself working in places like New York, California and Florida! Search positions today.
Jobs & Internships in the USA
A Guide to Working in the USA
Interested in working abroad in the USA? Apply today for the experience of a lifetime. There are a range of jobs available where you will get paid and also get time to experience more of the country. Working in the USA can be an amazing experience, a lot of people want to stay and end up returning year after year especially as there is the option to apply for a winter / summer position or spend a longer period living working.
Some jobs will require you to be a student or recent graduate but other positions are more flexible. If you have already applied for a USA working holiday visa, on our directory you can find recruiters hiring J1 and H2B visa staff in the USA. Summer jobs in USA, these positions are a lot of fun and you will make new friends from all over the world. Working a winter ski season is also an incredible opportunity! The USA is one of the biggest countries in the world, on a flexible working holiday visas you can apply to work anywhere in the country.
The USA is a huge country and you really need to decide where you would like to work as each city, state and town offers a difference experience. You will get to visit places made famous in films and experience one of the most amazing countries in the world. View our guide to working in the USA today.
- Get paid to live in the USA - do you need any more convincing
- See new places, you get lots of free time to explore in your spare time
- Make new friends with other international workers
- Gain experience and new professional contacts
- Make money to fund future travels
- Choose from lots of destinations
Find Jobs By State:
Find seasonal work, J1, H2B, summer, winter and temporary jobs in the United States.
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- West Virginia
J1 Visa Jobs in the USA
View requirements for working in the United States on a J1 visa:
- To work in the USA you need a J-1 Visa which is a non-immigrant visa issued by the US authorities for people participating in work and cultural exchange programmes
- To gain a J-1 work visa you must be 18 years old or older - once accepted you will be able to work for up to 4 months anywhere in the USA
- You will need to be a full-time student registered at university
- You will need to attend an interview with the US Embassy in your native country
- The visa costs £145 in the UK
- When arriving in the USA you will might need to show you have enough money to support your time ($800 or $1200) depending if you have a job already lined up
- With the J-1 visa you will also have 30 days to travel on completion of employment
- You are free to depart the country before the visa finishes
- There is also a H2B Visa scheme which allows companies in the USA to hire international staff if they need to during key seasonal times of the year. There are lots of positions available you can apply for but you will need to check that your recruiter is a H2B registered employer
H2B Visa Jobs in the USA
A H-2B visa allows both international students and non-students to live and work in the United States for a seasonal period. You will get the chance to stay for up to three years and can work for a number of employers in industries like gardening, hospitality, tourism, theme parks, water parks and winter ski resorts.
You can find h2b visa jobs as landscapers, groundskeepers, bartenders, waiters, servers, cooks, housekeepers, kitchen assistants and general workforce staff during summer and winter. International companies and visa sponsors like InterExchange and the Alliance Abroad Group help international applicants to find h2b visa jobs with local employers throughout the USA. To be eligible for a h2b visa you will need to be 18 years of age or over (no age limit), not work in a skilled profession and have a basic level of English.
Summer Jobs in the USA
There are lots of international travel companies who offer summer jobs which include your visa and travel arrangements. Companies also help you to find jobs whilst in the USA and these programs are a good way to spend a few months seeing a new part of the world whilst gaining work experience. Types of jobs available include working in tourism, hospitality and as a sports instructor.
There are flexible jobs and working holidays in the USA which allow you to travel and see more of this country. The USA is one of the worlds best countries to work in and there are also endless travel opportunities. You can find literally hundreds of jobs in the USA you could apply for, you might like to view our guide to working at a summer camp in the USA.
Football & Sports Instructor Jobs in the USA
If you have a passion for sports and want to share this in the USA next summer you could apply to work at a camp in America. Jobs are open for people who possess a high level of skill, experience and qualifications in particular sports activities. This is a great opportunity to put your sports leadership skills and coaching qualifications to good use at summer camp! USA summer sports jobs include being: tennis Instructors, gymnastics coaches, water-skiing / wakeboarding instructors, lifeguards, horse riding instructors, fencing coaches, archery instructors & swimming instructors.
Winter Jobs in the USA
In winter you could consider working at a American ski resort. There is a need for seasonal winter staff with roles including instructing ski lessons, assisting on ski slopes, lift operators, slope patrols and general ski resort staff. Imagine beginning your day instructing ski lessons at a world class resort in Colorado for example and spending the whole day in the mountains.
Working a winter ski season is most people idea of a dream job. Types of jobs available is you are looking to work a winter ski season in the USA include hotel jobs front office staff, room attendants, reservation sales assistants, maintenance, restaurant/kitchen positions e.g. cook/server, cashiers, general helper/busser, ski lift operator, childcare assistant and also ski instructor.
You can find ski resorts throughout the country, popular places to seek winter employment in America include:
- Aspen/Denver in Colorado
- New York
USA Work & Travel Highlights
- Exploring New York City, no other city in the world compares!
- Going skiing in Colorado, some of the best slopes in the world are located here and also Boulder is a great place to be based
- Visiting the Grand Canyon which is simply breathtaking, there is also a new glass walk over the Canyon which is not for the feint hearted
- Wandering around and getting awestruct at the Yosemite National Park
- Helping at a National Park and help nature and conservation efforts
- Going to Disney World in Florida, there is fun to be had here for everyone
- Driving the legendary Route 66' highway and stopping off at small towns along the way
- Watching a live sporting event, there are so many to choose from including basketball, baseball, American Football, soccer and more
- Checking out the locals on South Beach, Miami
- Doing a road trip of California stopping off in places like Santa Cruz and Santa Barbara
- Seeing Niagara Falls on the border with Canada
Internships in the USA
Sometimes you can choose a internship location to live, but other times this is determined by where a company is based. Here is a run down of the top places we recommend: New York, Boston, Chicago, Hawaii, Los Angeles, New Jersey, San Francisco, Texas and Washington DC.
Internships in the United States for Foreigners
Over 10,000 people were placed on internships in the USA last year and there are various different internships available to join in a wide range of fields and industries including business, media, television, journalism, tourism, hospitality and more. You could find yourself interning in world famous cities like New York.
There are so many reasons why you should want to intern in the United States including:
- Experience life in a new country and gain vital skills and a CV entry which will look amazing
- Make new professional business connections, perfect if one day you would like to live and work here permanently
- The USA has the largest economy in the world
- See famous sights in your spare time - experience the famous American culture
- Perfect way to spend a productive gap year in the USA
- Gain a unique perspective into working and life in the States
- Make new friends, meet and mix with locals
Internships programs are a great way to build valuable international work experience which will make you stand out to future employers, we also have flexible placements perfect for students, graduates, gap years and summer.
Types of Placements
- Administration, Business, Accounting, Finance
- Arts, Advertising, Journalism, Marketing, Media, Photography, Publishing, PR, Sales
- Biology, Medical & Healthcare, veterinary
- Education, Social Work
- Hotel & Hospitality, Human Resources
- IT, Creative, Graphic & Interior Design, Fashion
- Law & Human Rights
- Linguistics, Translation
- Sustainable Development, Tourism
Internships in the USA for Students
Looking to do something beneficial for your future and gain practical hands on work abroad experience? The USA is easily one of the best internship destinations in the world. Most people who apply for internships programs Stateside are students from countries like the UK, we have some fantastic programmes available to international students which can be joined anytime. You will be able gain professional work experience in the USA in an area of your interest and enhance your future career prospect. There are lots of placements where you can apply for and if successful work as an intern in a American company.
You will gain hands on experience, experience a new working environment/culture, get training to help your development and learn new practical skills. These placements are a fantastic opportunity to see up close the day-to-day operations for a US based company, learn from managers and experienced staff, get an entry on your CV, gain new links and contacts, improve your business skills and improve career opportunities. Some companies offer structured internships to students where you get a guaranteed interview with an employer before leaving, airport pick up, accommodation, meals, pre-departure help and advice, orientation, training, help setting up a bank account and social insurance number and 24 hour support.
- Open to international staff and native US citizens
- Involved in an internship or training program related to your studies (Interns) or professional experience (Trainees)
- Be eligible for a J-1 Visa if you live outside the USA
- To apply for one of our intern abroad programs in the USA you will need to be proficient in both verbal and written English
- Willing to work in teams , open to learning and be highly motivated
- Our placements are open to UK and worldwide students/graduates - if you are a Canadian, Australian, Indian citizen you will need to check your visa information
- Have a 1-12 month internship placement already prepared (you can arrange this through our website)
- Have an eligible host employer - your Internship must be related to your past work/study experience
- Be available to be interviewed in person or over the phone
- Have sufficient support funds you stay
Interning in the USA with an Agency
Some companies offer USA Internship programmes where you will need to pay a joining fee, on these placements you will receive:
- Confirmed internship placements
- Help with J-1 Visa sponsorship (this is very important, without you will not be able to enter the country and intern)
- Advice and help with the application process e.g. visiting the US embassy
- Shipping of DS-2019 confirmation (this is what you need to visit and work in the USA)
- Online information and participant handbook containing useful details
- Emergency contact and support whilst in the USA - 24 hours a day
- Language: Fluent English
- Salary: Some unpaid, paid and also some rembursments
- Working Week: Ususally 10-40 hours
- Program Length: Generally 1-12+ months
- Accommodation: This can be arranged independently or via an employer with an apartment, home-stay or shared accommodation
How to Apply
You can search jobs and work experience placements in the USA on our directory. Some companies offer structured programs in the USA, they will find you a job placement, arrange your visa and also book you on a group flight. What is usually included:
- A guaranteed placement
- Visa sponsorship
- Comprehensive medical insurance
- Advice and support during your stay in the States
- Orientation and training
- Assistance setting up a bank account and social insurance number
The price of a program really depends on what you would like to do, for example working at a summer camp can have a sign up fee of around £500 which includes flights. Wages when in country can vary dramatically depending on where you work, what job you do and what company employs you.
If you need any help arranging a job in the USA please get in touch. You might also like to view our jobs in Canada.
If you offer jobs or intern programs in the USA to international staff and would like to be featured here please contact us.