Useful Fijian Words & Phrases for Visiting Fiji
Got a trip to Fiji planned? Or just interested in the culture and country? Want to interact with locals and be more than just a tourist? We have also put together a list of useful words and phrases for travel in Fiji.
- Hello - Bula
- How are you? - Vacava tiko?
- What is your name? - O cei na yacamu(ni)?
- My name is ()… - Na yacaqu o …
- Where are you from? - O ni lako mai vei?
- I’m from … - O kemuni mai vei?
- Sorry - Vosota sara
- Please - Yalo vinaka
- Thank you - Vinaka, Vinaka vaka levu
- Good morning - Yadra, Ni sa yadra
- Good afternoon/evening - Bula, Ni sa Bula
- Good night/Goodbye - Moce, Ni sa moce
- Pleasure to meet you - Ia bula
- Have a nice day - Vanuinui vinaka ki na siga ni kua
- Bon appetit - Da kana!
- Bon voyage - Vanuinui vinaka e nomu volau
- I don’t understand - Au sega ni taura rawa
- Could you speak more slowly please? - Vosa mada vakamalua?
- Could you repeat that? - Tukuna tale mada
- Do you speak English? - O vosa vakavalagi?
- How do you say … in Fijian? Na cava na kena vosa vakaviti ni …?
- Excuse me - Au lako mada yani (to get past)
- How much is this? - E vica na kena i-sau?
- Stop - Kele
- Help - Kere veivuke
- Call the police - Qirita na ovisa
- Fire - Kama
- Where’s the toilet? - E vei na vale-lailai?
These phrases will hopefully be a small step to making your holiday, gap year in Fiji or experience more fun. Locals will be really impressed when you speak to them in their own language - this is highly recommended if you are going to volunteer in Fiji.